VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I may pickup some SE GTI seats for my S Alltrack, will there be any compatibility issues? I believe the SE GTI has electric functions that my S Alltrack seats do not have, which makes me think the electrical harnesses might not match up. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Also, I think they have that little drawer under the seat, which I don't have either. If I'm overlooking anything please let me know!

Thanks!

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,498 Posts
Hi Guys,
I may pickup some SE GTI seats for my S Alltrack, will there be any compatibility issues? I believe the SE GTI has electric functions that my S Alltrack seats do not have, which makes me think the electrical harnesses might not match up. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Also, I think they have that little drawer under the seat, which I don't have either. If I'm overlooking anything please let me know!

Thanks!
While several people have made a switch like this, I don't think any of them have (thankfully) been in an accident.

Aside from the physical fitment, there is no assurance that the entire airbag system will work as intended. Is the coding for the airbag system identical between the two cars?

The question is not only "will the seat airbags work?" but also "will the entire supplemental restraint system work as intended?"

Nobody (not even VW) can give you that information as the seats have not been crash tested in that car.

Many here will say "just do it" but they aren't putting their life on the line or (if they've made a similar mod) been in an accident that resulted in (or should have resulted in) an airbag deployment.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks CB I appreciate it! I hadn't thought about that. Given this is my first modded car perhaps this swap isnt for me, quite yet.
he's posted the same nonsense every time a seat swap is mentioned. It's BS.

The exact same airbag is used across every single Golf MK7 model except E-Golf. You don't have to be in an accident to know the air bags will work.

Additionally, if there is any airbag fault and the airbag plug sees resistance it's not expecting, the entire system is deactivated and your dash will light up light a Christmas tree.

It's a lot of hand-wring that seems based on knowledge of 1988 air bag systems... You can look up the part numbers yourself for the airbags and control modules. They are not specific to a trim level or model with the Golf line-up.

As far as the power connections being plug and play though, you may need to re-pin a harness (which is not difficult). There are wiring diagrams on here. You can get power to the seat motors from the floor (power is there). I do think that S to SE seats probably isn't worth the hassle though. The SEL seats are shaped differently though, and lots of folks find them to be more comfortable.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,498 Posts
he's posted the same nonsense every time a seat swap is mentioned. It's BS.

The exact same airbag is used across every single Golf MK7 model except E-Golf. You don't have to be in an accident to know the air bags will work.

Additionally, if there is any airbag fault and the airbag plug sees resistance it's not expecting, the entire system is deactivated and your dash will light up light a Christmas tree.

It's a lot of hand-wring that seems based on knowledge of 1988 air bag systems... You can look up the part numbers yourself for the airbags and control modules. They are not specific to a trim level or model with the Golf line-up.

As far as the power connections being plug and play though, you may need to re-pin a harness (which is not difficult). There are wiring diagrams on here. You can get power to the seat motors from the floor (power is there). I do think that S to SE seats probably isn't worth the hassle though. The SEL seats are shaped differently though, and lots of folks find them to be more comfortable.
And you've crash tested them, I'm sure.

Funny how manufacturers are required to crash test each individual version. While the "parts" might be the same, do you have proof that the coding is the same?

The car will only light up only if the wiring is wrong.

My point is (and yes, I've said it before) is that nobody knows how the SRS will behave with these sorts of mods.

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
724 Posts
And you've crash tested them, I'm sure.

Funny how manufacturers are required to crash test each individual version. While the "parts" might be the same, do you have proof that the coding is the same?

The car will only light up only if the wiring is wrong.

My point is (and yes, I've said it before) is that nobody knows how the SRS will behave with these sorts of mods.
Reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin asks, "Dad, how do they know the weight limit of bridges?" "That's easy, son. They drive bigger and bigger trucks over the bridge until it breaks. Then they weigh the last truck and rebuild the bridge."

You don't have to break a bridge to know its weight limit. You don't have to deploy an airbag to know it'll work.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
840 Posts
Reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin asks, "Dad, how do they know the weight limit of bridges?" "That's easy, son. They drive bigger and bigger trucks over the bridge until it breaks. Then they weigh the last truck and rebuild the bridge."

You don't have to break a bridge to know its weight limit. You don't have to deploy an airbag to know it'll work.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
there are so many things wrong with his statement that I'm not even going to bother. It's clear the person posting it doesn't understand how modern airbag systems work.

There is no "coding" that it specific to the airbag itself. The airbag is a passive device that is controlled by the airbag control modules. The fact that the EXACT SAME AIRBAG is used across different models shows that an interchange will work perfectly.

You don't have to go crash test your car if you need a replacement air bag, do you??

BTW, I've been in a JSW with swapped seats. When it got totalled, the airbag system worked as it should....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.