VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you European Car for such a good article on a car we can't have. You left out the most important picture. The guy flipping us off as he was doing the test drive. Why does Seat seem to "get it", when VW "tries to".
My question is - if this is the same engine as ours, why does it have so much more power from the factory?

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: Seat Leon Cupra R - Holy Crap! (WOLFSBURGermeister)

It's the TT225 motor, KO4, reinforced block, lower compression, dual IC's, etc.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Re: Seat Leon Cupra R - Holy Crap! (VDUBNDizzy)

Quote, originally posted by VDUBNDizzy »

how hard would a swap be?

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: Seat Leon Cupra R - Holy Crap! (20vWolf)

Motor wise, very easy. Getting the turbo, twin cat DP's, intake and IC piping to fit is another matter. Then you'd still need programmning. That K04 is much larger than the regular K04-01 for our motors.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the info.
If Seat works closley with VW, then why wouldn't that engine set up been conciderd for us in the US market.

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

It is, in the TT225. It's marketing. They have to have something to distinguish the Audi marque from the lowly VW.

·
Banned
6,142 Posts
Forget all this tuning...I'm going to the VW dealer to see if I can ship over a SEAT Leon Cupra R. That car is hype, aside from it being already 225 HP it will be an original here in Canada.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts

They have them in Mexico. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Don R)

Quote, originally posted by Don R »
Forget all this tuning...I'm going to the VW dealer to see if I can ship over a SEAT Leon Cupra R. That car is hype, aside from it being already 225 HP it will be an original here in Canada.

How difficult is it to bring over this car?
Would a VW dealer be of any assistance in making this happen?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: (WOLFSBURGermeister)

FYI: it costs around 20-25K Eur used. It still lacks lsd. May be I will get one when I part with my Golf 1.8T. Poor you fellas in America.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Re: Seat Leon Cupra R - Holy Crap! (Wolk's Wagon)

Quote, originally posted by Wolk's Wagon »
They have them in Mexico. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thats what I am thinking. I will even change my name to FES if I have to. Aside from some import fees, it shouldnt be hard to do. My friend imported a car from PR and it only cost him $500.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Re: Seat Leon Cupra R - Holy Crap! (SlvrBllt)

Guy from Mexico with the yellow SEAT at APR's BBQ told me
that you will be able bring em over in a year or so. Some new
trade law or something.
BTW. He came over to get APR's serial programming.. at their BBQ
before this revo crap.

·
Banned
6,142 Posts
I asked the owner of my VW dealer if it is possible to bring over the R32 and he said it's only a matter of paperwork and it would cost about $45 K CAD. I actually made an appointment to see him later today to ask him if it possible to bring over the Cupra R. It would have be certified for the emission regulations, would have to have a 5 Mph bumper rating, and have daytime running lights. Other than that paper work. Insurance would be an issue cause it's not a standard car make in Canada.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Re: (borisu)

Quote, originally posted by borisu »
FYI: it costs around 20-25K Eur used. It still lacks lsd. May be I will get one when I part with my Golf 1.8T. Poor you fellas in America.

Hmm, it cost that new, if we buy it from Mexico.

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: (flyinggonzo)

Quote, originally posted by flyinggonzo »
Wouldn't you need a crash test for the 5mph bumper test? That's a pretty big disincentive if that is the case.

...all they have to do is fit that foam piece behind the bumper and vuala it's a 5mph bumper...

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Re: (kilmer420)

There's a government website somewhere that lists every car ever approved for import in this country. I looked into it once when thinking about buying a MKII Rallye Golf from Canada. Basically, if the car in question isn't already on the list it has to be crash tested unless you can prove it is "substantially similar" to another car already on the list. In the case of the car I was interested in, it wasn't on the list but the next model year was; ergo, should have been easy to prove "substantial similarity". With enough headache, it ought to be possible to get them to consider the Seat as a VW MKIV, but I'm not sure how you would go about "proving" this. Some kind of documentation from the manufacturer, perhaps?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

Yup and keep in mind that the K04 on those cars is very different from the K04 we can use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts