VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/09/the-ultimate-fun-haver-rtr-ford-f150/

I am hoping I can get a truck at the end of this year if I have a good summer, and I was messing around online since I am sick. Plus nothing good to watch.

So I found the old article from speed hunters, and noticed he did not have the stock seats this time. I believe the stock seats have to have some sensors for the airbag deployment, and my internet searches seem to point to that being true.

If I go with a new truck I would like racing style seats if I build a off-road style truck. If I lower or slam it. Recovered stock suit me fine.

So how does one go about a seat swap with out throwing a air bag code. Is there a sensor you can swap or pull off the stock seats?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
As far as I am aware the seats either have side airbags or they don"t but I do not believe they have any sensors though. Basically you have to code them out of the control module or use resisters. If you have some health issues that would be unsafe with any airbag they can be turned off but this takes a lot of work. Most people measure the resister of the airbag igniter and then use a resister of that value. Airbag systems are a best hope system, whether you have a light or not or a defective bag the system will still try to ignite that airbag just in case it does go off. Because of this if you resister off one bag the rest of the system should still work. They are safety systems which are proven to work so think hard before you start removing them.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not want to use dummy plugs, but I would like to keep full functionality of the safety stuff

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
The stock seats have airbags built in, you will never be able to keep those in aftermarket seats. I doubt anyone would touch that project.

so you are left with resistors to trick the system into thinking the airbag is still there.

In the linked truck, high side bolster recaros and harnesses are doing the job of the side impact airbags.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
The stock seats have airbags built in, you will never be able to keep those in aftermarket seats. I doubt anyone would touch that project.

so you are left with resistors to trick the system into thinking the airbag is still there.

In the linked truck, high side bolster recaros and harnesses are doing the job of the side impact airbags.
The Recaro Sportsters he's using are available with an airbag option, as well as a heated seat option. Weird that the US site doesn't mention the airbag option but the German one does. Wonder if there's a legal reason they can't sell the airbag version in the US.

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/d...e/recaro-sportster-cs-cross-sportster-cs.html

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
The Recaro Sportsters he's using are available with an airbag option, as well as a heated seat option. Weird that the US site doesn't mention the airbag option but the German one does. Wonder if there's a legal reason they can't sell the airbag version in the US.

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/d...e/recaro-sportster-cs-cross-sportster-cs.html
I've contacted a few Recaro distributors in the US trying to get the CS with the side airbags, and nobody I've spoken to is willing to import them. If someone knows a company willing to do so (or a euro company willing to ship to the US), please let me know!

·
Registered
6,031 Posts

interesting, I suck at electrical but I do know that the airbag resistance can vary from mfg to mfg i wonder if they have a converter box to step up or down per the application.

IDK i'd just prefer old fashion physical restraints than trying to make that work.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Do you want the Recaro's or the BMW Performance branded ones?
I'd take either.

ECS was importing the BMWP seats for a while, and I slept on them. NLA, AFAIK. Used ones go for (even more serious) coin :(

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
interesting, I suck at electrical but I do know that the airbag resistance can vary from mfg to mfg i wonder if they have a converter box to step up or down per the application.

IDK i'd just prefer old fashion physical restraints than trying to make that work.
The BMW Performance one's are plug and play, someone installed the Recaro CSs in a STI and they had VW branded connectors and they made their own harness.

I'd take either.

ECS was importing the BMWP seats for a while, and I slept on them. NLA, AFAIK. Used ones go for (even more serious) coin :(
IND still has them I believe, but they charge IND prices for them. I'll see if I can find anyone that will ship across the pond though, a couple of the euro Amazon sellers have the the regular Recaro versions, but I haven't found one that'll ship to the states.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
IND still has them I believe, but they charge IND prices for them. I'll see if I can find anyone that will ship across the pond though, a couple of the euro Amazon sellers have the the regular Recaro versions, but I haven't found one that'll ship to the states.
I reached out to IND and received this as a reply: "We can only get the full black leather with heat, not with the airbags." Same response from EAS.

Let me know if you find anything, I appreciate it :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.