VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My automatic seatbelts are shot. i am looking to get perhaps a racing harness instead. do i need new seats to do so, or can i just put them on the existing seats? either way how much does it cost? also, what sites can i go to to look at interior stuff for my corrado? any help would be greatly appreciated. thx

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: seats/harnesses (sanity29)

I've got Schroth Rallye 3's on both front seats. They look pretty good, and they work well. You'll notice your driving limits will expand once you get used to the harnesses...you will be able to use your arms for 100% driving, instead of 50% driving and 50% holding yourself in your seat on twisty tracks. A bit of a hassle to use daily, though. I'd recommend the Autocontrol belts if you're gonna use them all the time.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Re: seats/harnesses (URIN 2ND)

I have Jamex race seats with simpson 5 points w/ cmalocks..they will be forsale in a few months...
Branden

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Re: seats/harnesses (vdubin90)

For street use you want to stick with Schroth harnesses. Regular racing harnesses have no give to them and score much worse than the stock belts for neck injury because your torso is held too securely. The Schroth models have a flap of one of the shoulder belts sewn together so that in a crash the thread will rip and the flap will come apart cusioning the impact. They are also drivers side/passenger side speciffic because of this, as the flap is only in one of the shoulder straps so in an accident driver and passenger heads will travel in different arc's (to the outside of the car) and you won't konk heads. (this flap is covered by a break away piece of black plastic on the inboard strap, positioned behind the headrest twards the rear latch).
The stock Corrado seat backs have a steel pan in them, and are rated to work with this type of harness. Seats from older cars like the Scirocco are not.
The installation is really quite easy, and uses the stock lap belt anchors in the front seat, and either the rear lap belt anchors (Ralley 4 and optional location for Ralley 3) or the rear pillar mount for the Ralley 3 or the version of the 3 with the electric locking inertia reel.
I have the Ralley 4's in my car, and like them a lot. If i were to do it again though, i would put in the ones with the locking reel. There are too many times in traffic where you need to lean foreward when merging in traffic, and you simply cannot do it with the stationary belts properly set.
Schroths are available all over the place, and Autotech has been selling them since they arrived un the US market. I got mine at a show over the summer at a good savings from the online pricing i normally see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.