VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Haynes and it sucks. I'm trying to find out how to pull my existing seats out of my coupe and put a pair of GTi seats in. Problem is, as it is a coupe, the manouvering room available, not to mention easy access to the back seat doesn't really exist, and more importantly with the driver's side, the cable's snapped so it cannot be moved forward. Now obviously I don't want to replace the cable just to get the seats out, and I also don't want to mutilate the old seats either...might have plans for them. What do I do? There's not enough room for me to really look around and find what I'm looking for, especially with two GTi seats in the way, (yes they are in my car as I don't have a dry place to put them right now, and I bought them today) and the Haynes manual says Jack s**t about seats, other then testing the seatbelt sensor.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Banned
4,337 Posts
Re: Seats Removal and replacement (A2dr)

Well, I can't help you remove your seats, but with a broken cable on your current seats what you can do it reach down where the hinge is on either side. There is a disk-like lever that you can easily grab and lift up using one hand on each side. Then you can tilt the seat forward. Happened to me, so I had to figure that one out

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

I am not sure if your seats are any different than mine but I just changed mine and heres how they go in. Look on the front of the seat in the middle and you will find a acorn nut and a bracket. This keeps the seat from going to far back when you pull the lever. Take this off. Then look on the back of the seat at both sides. You will find the seat tracks. There is probably a trim peice there that kind of acts as a stop also. Take this off. Then the only thing holding the seat in is a pin. There is no cable to speak of on the seats. What happens is when you pull the lever to move the seat back there is a pin that has a notched out part that rides on that lever. So you pull the lever up and the pin gets pulled out of its hole. The seat then gets moved and you let go of the lever thus the pin matches up with the next hole. So you need to look on the left side of the seat and take this pin out. Once the acorn nut, bracket, seat stops, and the pin are out all you do is slide the seat all the way back and out of its tracks. Then lift the seat out. And as they say installation is the reverse of removal. It sounds kind of confussing but its not bad at all once you see what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts

damn, you guys sure know how to make it confusing. heres what you do
those plasic things on the back of the tracks? take them off. slide them out.
next. slide your seat all the way back and upbolt that bolt on the front of the seats then pull the lever that releases the lock to move the seat back and jam it backwards more. ( do not sit on it at this point )
now th seat should be totally of the tracks. you may take it out now, carefull. check underneath it before yanking it out incase anything is plugged into it.
Puttin a seat in:
if its from a gti it will fit the same way. put the seat in and have it so the bottom clips that go on the tracks are right behind the tracks. then jam it forward and make sure it gets on the tracks. once the seat is slightly on the tracks pull the pin on the mount for the front of the seat and put the pin in the 2nd hole, make sure you like the lever into the notch of the pin. the 1st hole is for the bolt that you took out earlier. voila! if you dont totally understand print this out and go look at the seat. it should be golden for you.. good luck

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Re: Seats Removal and replacement (eastcoastdubs)

Dude, I can have my rear bench and passenger seat out in under 5 minutes. Gotta drop the weight before I hit the track.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Re: Seats Removal and replacement (Fettes Brot)

quote:[HR][/HR]Dude, I can have my rear bench and passenger seat out in under 5 minutes. Gotta drop the weight before I hit the track.[HR][/HR]​
I can beat that!

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Re: Seats Removal and replacement (eastcoastdubs)

I just helped him put the seats in tonight, and they are awesome!!!

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Re: Seats Removal and replacement (Dutchman)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I can beat that!

i'll do it in 2
[HR][/HR]​
with my help we can do it in 30 seconds. - the movie hackers

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks guys, they look great and they are sooooooo much more comfortable than my old seats...I just melted into them. My back is thankful for that. But as it happens there was one problem with them, that I was wondering if someone could help me out with. They are severely stiff in the tracks, especially the passenger side which too a fair bit of force to put it just enough to get the acorn nut back on. The inside track was so smooth, but the outside track took a bit of good old fashioned violence tempered with the fear of harming such beautiful seats. Anyone know what this might be, and what I could do to make them move smoother in the tracks without loosening them too much. I want them to be stiff, just not as stiff as they are now.
Thanks Vdub Boy,
Didn't get to fully appreciate them until they were installed. Hope to see that beauty of a blue jetta out and about, although it'll be some time I think.
Dan

[Modified by A2dr, 8:35 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Banned
2,916 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I want them to be stiff, just not as stiff as they are now.[HR][/HR]​
Sounds like ya got a little problem there chief
Mine's stiff all the time too

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Seats Removal and replacement (dblab)

I don't see how that dinky CL could get anything stiff there good buddy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts