VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2nd gear grind that I mostly get when I'm downshifting or upshifting and turning. But I can feel that it is trying to force the shifter out of 2nd gear as well...I end up having to put it back into neutral and then put it into 2nd gear again or just go to third. Another weird thing it does is when the car is sitting still, I can put it into second and let out the clutch slowly and 2/3 of the time it will make a grinding noise and force the shifter out of 2nd, and there's no fighting it to get into (or stay into) 2nd, unless I really want to F something up...
Has anyone else had this problem or anyone out there that might know some possible solutions (that don't include taking it to a transmission shop or the dealership)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Second gear grind in 4-cylinder Jetta. (Chris164935)

your 2nd gear syncro is cracked or worn out.. If anyone was hard on the trans this happens.. very comon on 020 trans.. To fix will require [email protected] of the trans plus taredown..sorry to tell you the bad news

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Second gear grind in 4-cylinder Jetta. (FAST VR6 A2)

Would it be cheaper to fix this transmission or just get a rebuilt one?

·
Registered
192 Posts

i am having the same problem
how much is it to fix it, or is it under warrenty
should i bring it back to the dealer, but my car is chipped

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Chris164935 »
Would it be cheaper to fix this transmission or just get a rebuilt one?

It depends on how bad your gearbox is.
If all you need is a 2nd gear sync, then it will be cheaper to fix it.
If your grinding has ruined the sync, the sliding collar, and the 2nd gear wheel, then it will get considerably more expensive than just a sync ring.
They might open the trans, find loose rivets on the diff (means you need a bolt kit, something many people do whenever the trans is opened anyway), then they find that those few grinds you heard in reverse have chipped the reverse gear and the 1/2 sync sliding collar teeth. Do you have those repaired while it is open? Also while open, since the diff is coming out to be bolted, should the bearings be replaced?
You don't really know for sure until it is opened how bad it is.
Rebuilt units can be about anything. They went through it, looked for obvioulsy broken or worn parts, replaced just those and that's it, or they opened it up, replaced all bearings, sync and seals, re-shimmed everything to spec and that's it, or anywhere in between. What brand of parts were used in the rebuild? All those things will affect the cost of a rebuilt box.
It depends on what you are willing to settle for in reference to being fixed, and in terms of being rebuilt.
Broke

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Second gear grind in 4-cylinder Jetta. (Broke)

Okay...I have one last question though: Why is it that 85% of the time this problem occurs, it occurs when I downshift and then turn or turn and then let out the clutch?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts