VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On cold start with a 1.8t while the secondary air intake is doing it's thing is it OK to be driving the car or shoudl I be waiting the 30-40 seconds for it to finish. The reason I ask is that the sound is worse when driving it vs waiting for it to stop. But the owners manual says to drive without warming up the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Re: Secondary air intake at startup (IndigoBlueVariant)

should not matter
but you should give the oil and trans fluid time to circulate

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Re: Secondary air intake at startup (v b chil-n)

I have tried driving while its running the cold start up, and the car is sluggish.. So I always wait in the morning till the rpms drop, then when I drive off I never shift past 3,000 RPM's till the temp gets up to 190F Thats what my sales person told me to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Secondary air intake at startup (quailallstar)

Driving the car with the secondary air system in use is not Hazardous to the car. The secondary air system injects air behind the exhaust valves to help bring the catalyst in the convertor to temperature quicker, making it more emissions efficient. And as I am sure that other Passat owners have stated, especially the 1.8 owners, The car will run quite rough and loud until the process is over. And I agree, you need to let the engine and trans oils circulate before you hit the road!
Cheers
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
593 Posts
Re: Secondary air intake at startup (mindcrime45)

Thanks for the explaination. I've seen a lot of discussion of and concerns about the roughness and noise but nobody ever explained it this well.

·
Banned
6,488 Posts
Re: Secondary air intake at startup (quailallstar)

quote:[HR][/HR]and the car is sluggish.. So I always wait in the morning till the rpms drop, then when I drive off I never shift past 3,000 RPM's till the temp gets up to 190F Thats what my sales person told me to do. [HR][/HR]​
Talk about sluggish-wait till you damage your engine by letting it idle cold. Use the OM procedure-get in, start, and move off immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts