VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh!!!! You would think after 4 years of this, VW would of gotten the drift BY NOW and changed there darn Coil Pack supplier... You'd think, huh?
My MKIV Jetta Wagon has about 6000miles on her (luvingly broken in, meticuously maintained) and yesterday afternoon, without warning (and that's usually the case I hear and Now can attest to) She let me down (In traffic, during rush hour).
Ironically, the gas mileage on the previous two tanks of gas Skyrocted from the norm I was getting. In fact, I was driving her faster on the highways than usual and was getting better gas mileage, hmmmm.
I was getting about 300miles on a tank of guess with 70 city, 30 highway, and in the previous two tanks was nailing 375miles and driving faster than usual.
Anyhoot, called road side assistance at 4:00pm and was told it would be about 30-45minutes (sent the wife home by taxi). I called back at 5:15pm and was told by the VW roadside assistance rep that they just placed the call about 15 minutes ago and it would take about another 30minutes for the tow truck operator to get their.
Finally at 6:00pm I was starting to lose my patience and called back and was worried I wasn't going to get to the dealer on time (I called my service manager at 5:00pm asking for his assistance, he said he would rent a car for me and was completely deductible... I just had to show up before 6:00pm).
Tow truck operator called me (cause I asked VW roadside assistance Rep to give them my cellphone number just in case) and he said he was on his way in about 15minutes... Bad part, they gave him a completely different address than the one I was stranded on~!~!~! Can you Say? DOH!
So finally, he showed up at about 6:40pm and arrived with what I insisted for, a flat bad with conveyor like straps (not those crappy chains they use to tie down the car) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif on the driver. My car got to the dealer and the rental guy was whining to me about having to wait so long (they close at 6:00 whereupon Enterprise is located in the dealer) which I replied you should be giving Audi/VW roadside assistance heck, not me buddy.
Well, all things being said, from being stranded at 4:00pm I finally got home (of course, without having done my errands) at 8:00pm and all in all it wasn't that bad an experience. At least I got a loaner out of it~~~~ right?
At least I will get all new coil packs~~~~~ right?
I'm going to insist on it, [email protected] it... after four years, this shouldn't of happened. Can't help but feel pity on the 1.8T Audi owners!?!??!?!?!

·
Registered
15,378 Posts
Re: Seen Matrix?, Matrix Reloaded? Matrix Revisted? Anyhoot, Blew Coilpack MKIV 2003 :( (emumtl)

AAA is much beter than VW road assistance.I never use VW because I know how slow they are http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Re: Seen Matrix?, Matrix Reloaded? Matrix Revisted? Anyhoot, Blew Coilpack MKIV 2003 :( (Fantomasz)

The VW Roadside assistance here goes directly to AAA

When my Chick Ran over a 4ft Chunk of steel on the highway the tow truck got there in 15 minutes. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Seen Matrix?, Matrix Reloaded? Matrix Revisted? Anyhoo ... (Lord_Balsac_Christ)

Actually, in Canada I do believe it's CAA (the parent arm in Canada of AAA)... FWIW

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: Seen Matrix?, Matrix Reloaded? Matrix Revisted? Anyhoo ... (emumtl)

Coilpacks suck. Same thing happened to me the other day while I was merging into the fastlane. Damn near got killed. On a positive note, the dealer replaced all 4.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

Beh,
I had J coils installed for cyl 1 and 2 and I still get misfires between the 2! I didnt get a CEL but I saw the codes using someone's VAG COM.
Will it ever stop??

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Re: Seen Matrix?, Matrix Reloaded? Matrix Revisted? Anyhoot, Blew Coilpack MKIV 2003 :( (emumtl)

When my coils died, the tow truck guy showed up in about 10 minutes.
They replaced all four of my coils, and my gas mileage has gone up a consistent ~4.2 mpg on each subsequent tank.
Interesting...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Seen Matrix?, Matrix Reloaded? Matrix Revisted? Anyhoo ...

Well, I mentioned to the sales rep's on Friday (cause they open till 9:00pm and service closes at 2:00pm) that how can they still be blowing coil packs after 4 years of this problem????
Sales Director advised me that they were changing coilpacks like 4-12 cars a day!!! And, that VW has changed suppliers of this defective parts... well, it took them fours years to finally wake up.
I can only hope they change all four and finally put the coil pack issues to rest.
P.S. I wonder what these things cost out of warrant? Can they be replaced by the "handy Mechanic Type"? And, do they sell you the revised coil packs or do they unload the regular ones on the unsuspecting folk?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Mine were $22.95 a piece for the J coils. I'm not completely confident that they won't fail though. They were very easy to replace with basic tools.

·
Registered
509 Posts

Roadside assistance in Canada is contracted out area by area. So in Montreal it might be CAA, in Trois Riveriere it might be Jean Leloup's Towing, and on and on.
Imagine who you are entrusting yourself to if you are out in the boonies. Odds are though in rural Canada the CAA guy and the VW guy are the SAME guy - the only guy for 100 miles who owns a tow truck...
If Roadside Assistance is not showing up fast enough, maybe their got getting paid on time...the diabolical plot thickens......

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (civ333)

Quote, originally posted by civ333 »
Is it hard to change coil packs? Like would it be a wise investment to buy a few of them and keep them in the trunk or something in case my new 03 1.8t breaks down?

Hey! Great IDea. I have never thought of that, but... if they are easy to change and you are using your car like most everyone does... It sure is re-assuring knowing you have spare Coil Packs on board on long trips (or being caught out in the middle of know where for that matter).
I always keep a spare gallon of that non-flammable (hahah, it ignites in hot engines, but apparently not if your engine is cold) safety fuel on board... just in case.
Yep, maybe I should ask the mechanic (when I go pick up my car) how to change coil packs

FWIW, I was impressed with the towing equipment and did advise AUDI/VW that I wanted a flat bed and the equipment to handle my 18" mags and Body kit. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (emumtl)

Hmmm... Cars ready...
Wow, they found some coil packs from another dealer... interesting.
They changed all four.
Will see Mr. Magoo, will see what this does...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.