VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anybody on here has recently either bought or sold an A2 VW with a 16v engine...aka either GTI or GLI 16v, and if so what price you paid or were paid?
The other part of the question is where are you located, is it near a major metropolis, what kind mileage, condition, mods etc.
The reason I ask is I've been trying to sell my '88 Jetta for the last couple of months and am really getting no good bites. Mileage is 148k, cars in good (stock) condition, and the only thing I can think of it needing is new shocks.
From where I'm sitting, it looks like the market has really died on these things, and most people calling are just looking for basic transportation, not so much a VW 16v. I've also tried to think what cars I'm competing with in the market and what those prices are.
So I'm fishing...and trying to set a good price where neither myself or the buyer takes a bath.
Any input?
derek p

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Re: Selling 16v A2's.... (dbpulvino)

post some pics and yer asking price....
id like to see it, and ive bought a car off the Vortex before!~

·
Registered
876 Posts
Re: Selling 16v A2's.... (fEEDub v.1.0)

i just bought a 16V 1988 jetta gli from a guy in CO -
130k miles
recaro interior
manual trans
tranny issues
a/c issues
clutch issues
eurosport upper strut bar
weitec coilovers
new wheels / tires
engine is clean
other than some peeling clearcoat and obviously repainted doors, body is straight and clean
for $550 ... and another $500 to ship it to TX!

Modified by matchstick chick at 2:34 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
111 Posts
He he sorry this probably isn't going to sound very promising. I just bought a 92 16v 2.0 recaros for 300. Granted it was my sisters car and it needs a little help for it to once again get looks.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Re: Selling 16v A2's.... (matchstick chick)

Quote, originally posted by matchstick chick »

for $550 ... and another $500 to ship it to TX!

I think you gotta a hell of a steal w/ shipping included.
Personally, in this area, the one thing I have noticed is you have to be paitent. The is buyer is always there, but you really have to advertise (the way you are) in the right places. Hang out in the PNW Regional forum and go to some of the GTG's and get some leads that way. I dont know what your asking, but your probably not gonna get it from MA and PA looking for a grocery getter and think the recaro seats are "Uncomfortable"

·
Registered
49,912 Posts
I dunno man.. the area around here seems to have almost no mk2's for sale.. especially golfs (which is what I'm looking for). One would think that with the low amount of mk2's for sale, it'd be easier to sell one. Apparently that's not the case. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of mk2 enthusiast owners around here to begin with (rabbits are popular and then the mk3's and mk4's). Good luck with selling your Jetta.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Re: (rootrider)

The used car market has basically collapsed. I've been try to sell my Saab (at a loss I might add) for the last 6 months with only one person coming to look at it and 3 or 4 calls about it. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
116 Posts

Bought my 91 Jetta GLI 16v Wolfsberg about a month ago. In Corvallis Oregon.
Car has been resprayed a while ago (has rock chips on front)
The Good:
Everything works except AC and Cruise.
Car has no body damage and only slight dings.
Has E-Code Aero set-up with relays.
Except for the ecodes it is 100% stock, and has the BBS RAs.
Has an alarm.
Tranny has been replaced, not sure when.
New Clutch and new head gasket. About $3500 worth of repairs done (including the ones listed) in the last year. He included the receipts.
Runs sollid.
The bad:
It has 177,XXX miles on it.
The head sounds like it's got a ball bearing rattling around in it (stupid cam followers)
The alternator squeels before the car gets warmed up.
I paid $3000 for it.
I also sold my 91 GTI 8v for $2300 in about 10 minutes. It was in average shape. That was in Eugene Oregon. I put it on the corner and got a call by the time I had walked home. Crazy.

Modified by RadGTI8V1.8 at 9:50 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
92 Posts

i just bought my 88 jetta wolfsberg 16v for $1400. lowered, wheels mint interior, runs strong. but it has some body flaws and 180000miles on it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Re: Selling 16v A2's.... (mattguilestyles)

I think I might have an easier time selling my GLI......if and when I do......because it has 61,xxx miles on it, which is unheard of in most parts.

·
Registered
75 Posts

heres what i got(rural NW CT):
$1100
'90(big bumper)Jetta GLi Tornado Red
power recaros
sunroof
no radio
no power steering

missing passenger front fender flare/plastic under doors
probably crashed before(darker paint on driver's side fender)
generally clean, drooping headliner
i dunno, i figure i prolly coulda paid less but i needed some wheels, so it was worth it to me.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

Just sold my 88 GLI 2.0L 16v on the 17th.
Check my sig.......
The guy who bought it was the first person to actually come look and test drive it. It has over 253,000 miles on body and head. I got $2800 for it. Not bad considering I only paid $1400 for it back in 1999.

Modified by Veedubgli at 9:58 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
186 Posts

i paid 2,000.00 for my 87 gti 16v here in florida. has less then 100k on the odometer though. but had some issues. small dents and dings, perfect headliner, but seats were bad. needed a new battery. and no stereo. also the wiring was butchered and needed reworked. but overall semi decent. now the 87 golf 4 door gt parts car i just bought i only paid 300 for the entire car. but it was well worth it.

·
Banned
4,402 Posts

My dad bought a 90 gli:
2.0 16v
tt chip
tt/borla cat back
recaros
h&r cup kit
good paint
BBS RAs
Relayed E-codes
109,xxx miles
bad cat
for $3000

·
Registered
5,153 Posts

Vancouver, BC, Canada.
A friend bought his 1990 (big bumper version) Jetta 16v w/ about 200,000 km on it for $4,500 CAD if I recall correctly. The entire car was near mint. It's at 296,000 km right now and still running nicely. He just had to replace leaking coolant piping at one point.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Selling 16v A2's.... (nsmsam)

I paid $850 for an 87 Golf GT. It needed basic stuff, had bald tires, three bashed in doors
otherwise it was ok. Now time to bring it back to life
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
edit: 228,xxx miles with original cv joints
second engine (JH) and tranny, soon to have a 2.0 16v (yeah right, only in my dreams.....
)

Modified by rasch_vwgolf at 11:38 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Re: Selling 16v A2's.... (rasch_vwgolf)

i recently picked up an 89 gti 16v for $1500, it was dropped already and had a few other goodies.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

I scored a 92 GTI 16v from a guy in cally. The car came with $16,000 worth of recepts on every thing from matience work to performance parts. I paid $5600 for it. $500 more to ship. Car arrived in excelent condition. My favorite car I have ever owned, BY FAR!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Selling 16v A2's.... (dubman#1)

Hey Gang,
Thanks for the input. I took some more pictures this weekend and I'll try to figure out how to upload them. The cars in really good condition, but that's be nice if a musuem was coming for it. It definetely doesn't have 60k...more like 150k.
Right now, the price I'm asking is 3200 which this point also inlcludes "obo," not to be confused with "byob." It's above blue book, but I thought at first maybe the hard to find factor would play in...no such luck.
As to prices everybody else has mentioned, sounds like we got some high, some low, and some right in the middle, but mostly low. As I just told someone else via i.m., I'm going to rewriting my add this week and putting some new photos. It's currently listed in the Seattle area Autotrader.
I remember last vw's I sold went fast, one in like half-hour, the other in about two weeks, but the most recent was about 3-years ago. My, times have changed.

Thanks again
Derek P

1 - 20 of 20 Posts