VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,910 Posts

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
Skip the sedan and just get a four door GTI.

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,481 Posts
Skip the sedan and just get a four door GTI.
I'd love to know where you can get a MKVII GTI for 13K (OP wants to spend no more than 14 including shipping and taxes)

Another cheap option that's ultra reliable and low COO is the Mazda6, but it's not gonna have the punch of the Turbo VWs. And the CC is neat, and heavily depreciated.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
I'd love to know where you can get a MKVII GTI for 13K (OP wants to spend no more than 14 including shipping and taxes)

Another cheap option that's ultra reliable and low COO is the Mazda6, but it's not gonna have the punch of the Turbo VWs. And the CC is neat, and heavily depreciated.
Fair enough. Get a Mk6.

·
Premium Member
42,872 Posts

Who said it has to be a mk7... he could still get a Mk6 4dr GTI, but if OP is able to sell his MK7 for 14k I dont see why he cant find another for the same price.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
I want to suggest a G37, but I feel like that's a loaded + obvious answer coming from me. But they are roomier than the E90, more reliable than the E90 + E60, and tuned + equipped nicely (stickshift = sport package = LSD + big brakes + better steering + other driver goodies). Def worth a look IMO. Everything else is some combo of less reliable, less roomy, worse equipped and wacker drivetrain

·
Registered
11,726 Posts
I want to suggest a G37, but I feel like that's a loaded + obvious answer coming from me. But they are roomier than the E90, more reliable than the E90 + E60, and tuned + equipped nicely (stickshift = sport package = LSD + big brakes + better steering + other driver goodies). Def worth a look IMO. Everything else is some combo of less reliable, less roomy, worse equipped and wacker drivetrain
I would seriously run away from any BMW of that era. The GLI will be much more fun (I've had em both), have modern tech -- not to mention much cheaper and easier to repair. Dollar per smiles, I put my tuned GLI up there with my Cayman.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
My reply didn't post and I lost the message. so I'll have to give a TLDR:

-ATS looks awesome, 2.0T RWD 6MT!! Concern is rear seat and trunk size, may be too small?
-My GTI is awesome and still considering keeping it.
-C300 is sick + DTM racing prestige
-328i is similar to my 128i, so that is a solid
-B5 S4 has imploding engine or was that B6/B7 V8's? Electrical gremlins??
-4 door GTI/R don't do it for me, grew up in 2 door GTI's (Dad's 1 MKI and 3 MKII's, and owned MKIV)
-MKIV GLI has aged well, a clean example can still be had with some searching
-MKVI GLI I should test drive
-Wife wouldn't be caught dead in a wagon, but give it a couple years, I'll turn her to the dark side. E63 wagon let's go!

There are the more mature options such as CC and Accords, but at the price point have the Subaru's, Acura's, Honda's and Toyota's age well both interior and exterior? CC certainly has especially a rust free one.

·
Registered
25,521 Posts
My wife loves her ‘17 Gli and I have no complaints about it.

I did throw a neuspeed piggyback on it for a bit more grunt. Low setting. Not sure what the clutch on these will tolerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,149 Posts
My reply didn't post and I lost the message. so I'll have to give a TLDR:

-ATS looks awesome, 2.0T RWD 6MT!! Concern is rear seat and trunk size, may be too small?
-My GTI is awesome and still considering keeping it.
-C300 is sick + DTM racing prestige
-328i is similar to my 128i, so that is a solid
-B5 S4 has imploding engine or was that B6/B7 V8's? Electrical gremlins??
-4 door GTI/R don't do it for me, grew up in 2 door GTI's (Dad's 1 MKI and 3 MKII's, and owned MKIV)
-MKIV GLI has aged well, a clean example can still be had with some searching
-MKVI GLI I should test drive
-Wife wouldn't be caught dead in a wagon, but give it a couple years, I'll turn her to the dark side. E63 wagon let's go!

There are the more mature options such as CC and Accords, but at the price point have the Subaru's, Acura's, Honda's and Toyota's age well both interior and exterior? CC certainly has especially a rust free one.
ATS and newest GLI possible i think are your best options.

As a side note, I owned a MKIV GLI. While I certainly never placed a car seat in it (high school/college), i'm damn near certain there is no way a rear facing seat will fit while allowing anyone other than a dual amputee to sit in the front seat. The recaros that came in that car take up a good bit of space.

·
Registered
908 Posts
If I was the OP I'd see about doing a private trade on a 5 door GTI for his 3 door. Surely there is someone out there who would rather have a 3 door with similar mileage.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I went from a MK7 GTI to a MK6 GLI and it suuuuuuuucked. It felt like I went back 10 years in terms of automotive development. I was absolutely miserable. I then went from a MK6 GLI to a Elantra Sport and was so much happier. The car drives way nicer, the steering felt better, handles better, and the interior had no rattles (I've had two MK6 Jettas and both were rattle city). The only downside is that the Elantra Sports engine doesn't respond nearly as well to the aftermarket and it's more expensive to mod.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't forget about the VW/Audi (and BMW even) 12 year rust warranty. Completely transferable too. Find a 2009 or later somewhat rusty example, let the dealership deal with it for a couple weeks, and drive it like you stole it. That's what I'm doing for my gal's MkV, got a great deal on a (so far) problem free car with cosmetic issues a dealer will be fixing on February 3rd.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,415 Posts
C300 and {sick, racing, prestige} are not things I thought would ever go together.
Agreed. I like the look of the current C-Class and even test drove one back in 2016. Rear seat was cramped, materials seemed thin, and the deal breaker was that awful sounding engine. It was so bad even my wife who doesn't care about such things commented on it. Sounded grainy, winy, and cheap which is sad because I still love the looks of the car. Maybe refreshed car w/the 6 cyl is better?

21 - 40 of 128 Posts