VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honestly a Mk7 GTI two-door manual is cooler, newer and better than most the suggestions here. If it were me I'd just deal with the inconvenience a bit? Aside from the lack of rear doors it's still plenty practical.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
I have had a development happen to me with my Golf R that needs to be a cautionary tale for you.

My Golf R is totally stock, driven gently, and has 12K miles on it. I leased it.

At 12K exactly, my clutch started slipping. Volkswagen is telling me to go take a hike...they are not going to replace the clutch despite clear indications that this is not normal wear and tear.

I won't get into a sob story here on the internet, but let this be a lesson: The clutches on Mk6s and 7s are weak, and they will not stand behind it if and when they start slipping - which they seem to do even at stock power levels and without abuse.

So if you do buy one, the 6 year 72K warranty will not save you from a major repair.

601 Posts
My bone stock 2012 manuel GTI had the clutch go at 30k miles while shifting on the highway from 2nd -> 3rd. Dealer told me clutches are a wear/consumable and since I was the second owner there was no way to prove i didnt abuse it.

They opened it up and found a defect with the pressure plate and gave me an entire new clutch assembly free. Im at almost 80k miles now, the car has been modded and tuned and the clutch still feels new.

Just my experience as there are a lot of stories about the clutches on these cars.

TLDR: 1 mk6 clutch blew up at 30k, another mk6 clutch has gone 50k no problem

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,077 Posts
I have had a development happen to me with my Golf R that needs to be a cautionary tale for you.

My Golf R is totally stock, driven gently, and has 12K miles on it. I leased it.

At 12K exactly, my clutch started slipping. Volkswagen is telling me to go take a hike...they are not going to replace the clutch despite clear indications that this is not normal wear and tear.

I won't get into a sob story here on the internet, but let this be a lesson: The clutches on Mk6s and 7s are weak, and they will not stand behind it if and when they start slipping - which they seem to do even at stock power levels and without abuse.

So if you do buy one, the 6 year 72K warranty will not save you from a major repair.
VW is telling you to take a hike, or your dealership is telling you to take a hike?

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
VW is telling you to take a hike, or your dealership is telling you to take a hike?
VWoA. A customer case has been filed.

The dealer is working with me as best they can, but VW wants me to pay to disassemble the car so pics can be taken of the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate...with no guarantee the warranty will pick up the repairs. Estimate to do this is 4 digits.

Again, the car is stock, not modified, and VERY gently driven. It has never been launched from a standing start. Not even once.

VW is saying the clutch is a wear item and is not covered by the 6 year 72K warranty, and it was denied despite MULTIPLE escalations.

Considering this is the fifth straight VW for me, I am a little shocked I am being treated this way.

·
18,077 Posts
VWoA. A customer case has been filed.

The dealer is working with me as best they can, but VW wants me to pay to disassemble the car so pics can be taken of the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate...with no guarantee the warranty will pick up the repairs.

Considering this is the fifth straight VW for me, I am a little shocked I am being treated this way.
That's pretty terrible.

If it were me, and that being said, I don't recommend you do anything I'd do, I'd destroy the clutch/trans. Have it towed to the dealership with your complimentary roadside assistance, request a loaner, and leave it there until it's fixed. I'd also call VWoA every. single. day. requesting an update on the car.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
That's pretty terrible.

If it were me, and that being said, I don't recommend you do anything I'd do, I'd destroy the clutch/trans. Have it towed to the dealership with your complimentary roadside assistance, request a loaner, and leave it there until it's fixed. I'd also call VWoA every. single. day. requesting an update on the car.
ABusing the car will just guarantee further trouble. I am trying to be a partner here, not antagonistic. It's clear that if there's any chance the car will be repaired under warranty, it will need to be in a situation where VW is out of legs to stand on - especially around abuse. It's VERY clear VW is aware the clutches on these cars are weak and are looking for any and every avenue to get out from having to replace them.

Oh yeah...no loaners. I didn't mention that. None available.

Not bad for a $40,000 car, eh?

This is just developing over Christmas so I haven't really said anything online, but it's starting to look like the endgame here is I am out of luck. Estimates to replace the clutch are around $2,000.

·
Premium Member
42,853 Posts

I'm not defending VW but, clutches are wear and tear. Imagine if every idiot (not saying you) came in with worn out clutches and VW replaced them at good will? They'd go bankrupt. Without knowing your driving habits, but sounds like you didnt abuse it or sounds like you havent done anything do justify the premature wear, it does appear there was some failure.

Did they even bother to open it up and look? Typically you can tell on the clutch how it was driven or if it was some other factor

601 Posts
That's pretty terrible.

Bad take

·
Registered
6,736 Posts

How else are they gonna eat my two buy backs besides denying warranty claims ? :p

But jokes aside VW customer service went into the crapper post dieselgate. This is a great post for all the nuts who keeps bringing up buying 2019s for the warranty. A warranty is only as good as the company who stands behind it. And it's clear this brand does not stand behind their products.

·
Banned
524 Posts
i have had a development happen to me with my golf r that needs to be a cautionary tale for you.

My golf r is totally stock, driven gently, and has 12k miles on it. I leased it.

At 12k exactly, my clutch started slipping. Volkswagen is telling me to go take a hike...they are not going to replace the clutch despite clear indications that this is not normal wear and tear.

I won't get into a sob story here on the internet, but let this be a lesson: The clutches on mk6s and 7s are weak, and they will not stand behind it if and when they start slipping - which they seem to do even at stock power levels and without abuse.

So if you do buy one, the 6 year 72k warranty will not save you from a major repair.
dsg ftw

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
I'm not defending VW but, clutches are wear and tear. Imagine if every idiot (not saying you) came in with worn out clutches and VW replaced them at good will? They'd go bankrupt. Without knowing your driving habits, but sounds like you didnt abuse it or sounds like you havent done anything do justify the premature wear, it does appear there was some failure.

Did they even bother to open it up and look? Typically you can tell on the clutch how it was driven or if it was some other factor
I get it, but the car has 12,000 miles on it. There's no excuse for clutch slip. Period. And there's plenty of evidence both here and on the FB pages that the clutches are weak.

VW wants me to pay $1500 to drop the trans, with no guarantee that they will warranty it. Sorry, not doing that on a $40,000 car that's effectively brand new still.

·
18,077 Posts
ABusing the car will just guarantee further trouble. I am trying to be a partner here, not antagonistic. It's clear that if there's any chance the car will be repaired under warranty, it will need to be in a situation where VW is out of legs to stand on - especially around abuse. It's VERY clear VW is aware the clutches on these cars are weak and are looking for any and every avenue to get out from having to replace them.

Oh yeah...no loaners. I didn't mention that. None available.

Not bad for a $40,000 car, eh?

This is just developing over Christmas so I haven't really said anything online, but it's starting to look like the endgame here is I am out of luck. Estimates to replace the clutch are around $2,000.
In that case, I know of a pretty nice Audi dealership close by. :laugh: :laugh:

Trade that POS in and lease yourself a new Audi!

·
Premium Member
42,853 Posts
I get it, but the car has 12,000 miles on it.
Well, technically you could destroy a clutch even sooner if you drive it badly. But yea everyone knows the MK7 has had weak clutches. Getting a tune is almost a guarantee that youll need a new clutch. (I know your is stock)

I would just find a good indie shop and get it replaced. Shouldnt be THAT expensive.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
In that case, I know of a pretty nice Audi dealership close by. :laugh: :laugh:

Trade that POS in and lease yourself a new Audi!
I have said enough for now. There's still a lot going on that I don't want to poison the well on, but from where I stand right now, this is the end of my VW/Audi/Porsche intentions.

·
18,077 Posts
I have said enough for now. There's still a lot going on that I don't want to poison the well on, but from where I stand right now, this is the end of my VW/Audi/Porsche intentions.
I understand you turning sour to the brand due to this.

If it makes you feel any better, my experiences with Audi of America on the phone have been nothing but pleasant, and they were happy to work with me on making sure I was a happy customer at the end of the day. So while VWoA might suck, AoA is still on their game.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
While I agree with you in theory... someone can easily abuse a clutch into slippage with less than 12k miles
I have been driving for nearly 30 years. I have never once burned a clutch out. Ever. SO I hear you on the wear, but this is NOT a matter of wear.

61 - 80 of 128 Posts