VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,456 Posts
What does everyone think of a first gen Porsche Cayenne 6MT?
I just checked one out on a website and in doing some initial sleuthing it doesn’t have the IMS bearing issue and the car is so far looking reliable if one is mechanically inclined.
Even though I didn’t want an SUV, I can see the comfort of a big SUV along with the fun of driving a stick shift. There has to be some cool points there!
If you got the budget for repairs and it sounds like you can wrench yourself, then sure? The "height" of an SUV helps my wife immensely putting our son in and out of a car seat vs hunching down. Also the cayenne will be way more practical with it's "hatch" vs a sedan when it comes to fitting all the baby crap.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I just checked one out on a website and in doing some initial sleuthing it doesn’t have the IMS bearing issue and the car is so far looking reliable if one is mechanically inclined.
Even though I didn’t want an SUV, I can see the comfort of a big SUV along with the fun of driving a stick shift. There has to be some cool points there!
The VR6 is slow in stick (majority of them). But the GTS V8 stick is killer.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I made an offer on the 6MT Cayenne for $6500, but the seller didn't accept. It's ok, the hunt continues! Will be talking to a dealer in Indiana soon for what looks to be a mint C300. There is also a 328i in PA with low miles at around the 10k budget.

Not desperate, and I still feel I can endure a few years with the GTI until the little one can climb in himself.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

·
Registered
20,651 Posts
For future reference, the IMS bearing issue is on flat-six Porsches of the late-'90s/early-'00s vintage. It has nothing to do with the VR6 engines in the Cayenne... those are going to have similar issues to a Touareg of the same vintage, not a 911.

As a member of the casually-looking-at-manual-sedans club, there's a $600 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0T for sale locally. Hey, if you're willing to go that far back for a Cayenne :laugh:

(actual car not pictured but same color)

For other outside-the-box examples, the Cadillac CTS offered a 6MT V6 model through the 2nd generation, not just the (expensive used) V8 CTS-Vs. 300hp DI V6 doesn't sound bad,

Buick Regal GS? Manual available.

Or TL SH-AWD,

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
To the surprise of all including myself, I decided to call off the hunt. We are keeping the GTI and we will be using our Rav4 in the event we need more trunk space for family trips!

The GTI is still being used to haul the little motorhead and I get to have fun driving it!

Car shopping is fun, but now that we are not doing it anymore I can put more focus back on my family.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
For future reference, the IMS bearing issue is on flat-six Porsches of the late-'90s/early-'00s vintage. It has nothing to do with the VR6 engines in the Cayenne... those are going to have similar issues to a Touareg of the same vintage, not a 911.

As a member of the casually-looking-at-manual-sedans club, there's a $600 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0T for sale locally. Hey, if you're willing to go that far back for a Cayenne :laugh:

(actual car not pictured but same color)

For other outside-the-box examples, the Cadillac CTS offered a 6MT V6 model through the 2nd generation, not just the (expensive used) V8 CTS-Vs. 300hp DI V6 doesn't sound bad,

[ig]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sDRkhk_lXmQ/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

Buick Regal GS? Manual available.

[ig]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JXbHflFO-kM/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

Or TL SH-AWD,

[ig]https://hips.hearstapps.com/roa.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/14/47/546b30a8dd004_-_acuratl_cdauto_1714_8-lg.jpg[/img]

Yeah, No.

Don't get the 2.0.

If You're recommending a Saab, Get the 9-3 Aero with Turbo 2.8 V6

121 - 128 of 128 Posts