VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was considering selling my 04.When I listed all that it had and what I could get for it I changed my mind.The car is great in every way .
I don't care what the book says the price should be.No one should sell their Phaeton at a discount price.We are the ones who devalue our autos.
There are not many around and they should actually get a premium.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Re: Selling your Phaeton (parkbob)

Thanks for posting your thoughts Bob - I was sorta "on the fence" about selling mine, but it is such an enjoyable car that I have "future seller's remorse"!
I also cringe when I think of any Phaeton meeting the demise of the CARS program, aka "Cash for Clunkers":
"The program requires the scrapping of your eligible trade-in vehicle and that the dealer disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in. The scrap value, minus $50 the dealer keeps for administrative fees, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate. "

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote, originally posted by parkbob »
I recently was considering selling my 04.When I listed all that it had and what I could get for it I changed my mind.The car is great in every way .
I don't care what the book says the price should be.No one should sell their Phaeton at a discount price.We are the ones who devalue our autos.
There are not many around and they should actually get a premium.

Automobile purchases should not be considered an investment (unless you're in the collector arena). Enjoy while you have it, for as long as you like... and when the time comes that you may want something else, just pass it along.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a non-owner, I agree. New it was way too much for me. When my 2nd car died, I looked at a Passat. Then I saw the price of used Phaetons. I already knew about the quality, having been on the Dresden factory tour 2x. If you have not gone, go. It's a great experience in a lovely city.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Parkbob,
It is not only Phaeton owners driving the price down, it is VW itself that is shooting its own self in the foot.
As proof, I offer the fact that just last week I went in to VW to inquire about trading in my '04 Phaeton in on a new '10 Jetta Diesel Sportwagon. I knew going in that with my high mileage (152k) that I would be offered under Bluebook for my trade. When the sales manager came out and told me that they could only give me $6000 for my Phaeton I literally busted out laughing in his face.
After I got ahold of myself I asked the sales manager what it said about VW that their premier "Flagship" vehicle is worth less than 10% of its original sales price after only 5 years. He spewed some crap about the economy and maintenance cost, etc, etc. but in the end had no real answer to my question.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Selling your Phaeton (wkoenning)

Quote, originally posted by wkoenning »
Parkbob,
It is not only Phaeton owners driving the price down, it is VW itself that is shooting its own self in the foot.

I don't know. I am not surprised by the pricing. VW and their dealerships have to live in the present, make money now.
There were mistakes made with the marketing of the Phaeton, and the first year out was nightmarish for many owners. The car took on bad Karma, to use the vernacular.
It's just not a car for everyone, and with the miles you have on it, and no warranty available...
Well, I'll just say again, I'm not surprised. An old broken Mercedes/BMW still carries some "panache" in it's owning. A Phaeton will be recognized by almost no one. So you're left with a gas-sucking old car that's expensive to maintain, and no panache to boot.
Ironically, I agree with you that VW is the one who failed to create the panache. I now understand that marketing creates panache.
Your best answer would be to NOT buy the Jetta Diesel.
Let your feet do the talking.
Erick

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Selling your Phaeton (wkoenning)

At $8k I'd buy it from you and ship it across the pond!
That offer is ludicrous.
I've always been amazed at how these Phaetons are so underpriced. They're so much better than anything else for the money - and better than cars a lot more expensive. I'd take one over a 7-series, S-class or A8 any day!
Hira

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: Selling your Phaeton (feared)

I may be selling my 04 W12 klavierlak black/tan soon....and I will admit....it's a very difficult decision to make. It's an incredible car regarding fit, finish, and luxury. The black/tan color combination looks stunning. I've also installed Bentley wheels and tires - which look perfect on the car. I have no idea what the "true" market value is for my car. Kelley Blue Book shows private party sale for excellent condition at $20,670. That sounds about right to me....anyone interested?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Selling your Phaeton (feared)

Quote, originally posted by feared »
At $8k I'd buy it from you and ship it across the pond!
That offer is ludicrous.

Hira

I don't disagree that the car is better than the top end of other makers, but you are judging in the context of habitating a country where the Phaeton is still sold, and is currently respected.
The car is just a relative unknown in the USA, though EVERYONE changes their mind about it once they get a ride. Even my wife that was incredulous that I would want to buy such a "boring old man" looking car. Now she quietly loves it.
People need to experience the car.
Clearly he needs to sell the car privately, and he will do better if he finds the right Phaeton aficionado.
Erick

·
Registered
570 Posts
Re: Selling your Phaeton (excitablekid)

I certainly didn't get the Phaeton for the badge. I've had the same experience with my wife. She had no idea and now she loves it. We're even toying with the idea of getting one for her. We already have his and her's 928's (moth balled due to kids). Sadly, I don't usually have the opportunity to give friends rides so they think its'a big Passat.
Damon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.