VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, 05 CVPI, Accord DD
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tech here at work has been trying to get his 89 Helios GLI running properly for months (has been running on clys 1+4). He tried every diagnosis and threw everything at it before breaking down and pulling the head for a R+I and finding that the headgasket had been leaking coolant into the middle combustion chambers. He did a partial head rebuild and has been putting it back together for a week after work every night. I just watched him crank it over to it still running on 2 cylinders. The poor thing sounds like a lawnmower (literally), I feel so bad for him. Send your best wishes to latham and the Helios GLI. I can't even fathom what the problem could be. Man, what a buzzkill, huh?

·
Registered
42,260 Posts
Re: Send your prayers out to my buddy's GLI (fopeano)

maybe those middle plugs are shot after being exposed to burning coolant for so long? or maybe some sort of injector problem in those cylinders
ill be wishin him good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
7,814 Posts
Re: Send your prayers out to my buddy's GLI (ValveCoverGasket)

or mabey if the engine was combusting (pinging) for any number of reasons he burned a hole in the head between cylinders 2+3 like i did, therefore lacking any compression whatsoever... i hope he did a compression test??
plugs wires whatever all the easy things have been covered, no?

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Re: Send your prayers out to my buddy's GLI (JoeJetta91)

he could also have "hydro locked" rods 2 and 3.. by that his rods could be bent cause the water doesn't compress like air does and many people have rod rod bend/warp from this. it doesn't alsways happen, but it has been known 2 happen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts