VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have had a few handguns stored in a sentry "fireproof, floodproof" (as an aside, I have no idea how this could be floodproof..marketing is marketing...) home safe along with important documents etc...I have recently been reading online that it is not a good idea to store firearms in these type of safes due to the humidity levels inside. Apparently there is some wet fabric packed between the outer and inner walls which is what aids in the fire rating.

I have had my guns in the safe for over a year and have not seen any rust forming, but now I'm spooked. Has anyone here heard the same thing? Any sub $100 safes out there to lock up 3-5 handguns? I don't have the desire or need to spend $3k on a big gun cabinet. Honestly, I'm not very concerned with the fire rating so it does not have to be fireproof. If my house burns down, I have bigger problems than replacing my guns & I store ammo seperately...

Thanks,
Brian

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
Hello All,

I have had a few handguns stored in a sentry "fireproof, floodproof" (as an aside, I have no idea how this could be floodproof..marketing is marketing...) home safe along with important documents etc...I have recently been reading online that it is not a good idea to store firearms in these type of safes due to the humidity levels inside. Apparently there is some wet fabric packed between the outer and inner walls which is what aids in the fire rating.

I have had my guns in the safe for over a year and have not seen any rust forming, but now I'm spooked. Has anyone here heard the same thing? Any sub $100 safes out there to lock up 3-5 handguns? I don't have the desire or need to spend $3k on a big gun cabinet. Honestly, I'm not very concerned with the fire rating so it does not have to be fireproof. If my house burns down, I have bigger problems than replacing my guns & I store ammo seperately...

Thanks,
Brian
if you have your guns oiled and clean, there's not much to worry about. many people who are concerned with moisture buy silica packs to absorb moisture and change them every so often. You could just do that instead of buying a new safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you have your guns oiled and clean, there's not much to worry about. many people who are concerned with moisture buy silica packs to absorb moisture and change them every so often. You could just do that instead of buying a new safe.
I agree. If you keep them properly lubed they should be fine. Even better, get them out and shoot 'em once in a while. I own 3 pistols and 1 AR and they each get range time regularly.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
FWIW, you need to keep humidity absorbing material in gun safes too.

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
^ Agreed with all statements. Use them, clean them, oil them. Silica packs or whatever other absorbant will help, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts