VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i just barely made it home. i havn't been driving in a sprinted manner or anything, in fact i never went above 4k. i drove about 5 miles each way and about a mile from my house this started:
emergency hand brake light started coming on when i accelerate to about 3k. when i pushed in the clutch it went away. then a grinding sound started happening in turn with the emergency hand brake light. i'm driving in the city so i have to keep stopping and accelerating again. 3/4 mile it starts getting worse, i push in the clutch, the emergency brake light continues to shine (it does flicker a bit), the grinding sound persists and gradually gets louder. 1/4 of a mile from my house the grinding sound is very loud, the car seems to be bucking a bit, the emergency light is flickering alot, and this stuff continues to happen even when the car is at a stop and in neutral with the clutch in (or out for that matter). i get home, park, and try to turn the car off. instead it just idles at like 500-600 rpm. the grinding sound is still there and loud. the car is still slightly bucking. i try another time to put the key in, turn the starter and shut it off, but the car goes back to 500-600 rpms (yes, when i turn the car off the electrical systems shut down). i release the clutch and essentially stall the car out to finally get it off. I don't even think i could turn it back on.
WTF??? i havn't driven the car in like 3 days and i just started driving it again today, and very gently. (as in not over 4k, probably not even over 3500 rpm)
this really scared me. i popped the hood and i can't smell anything. crap, i just went out to get some electrical stuff for the car and now this. sh*t.
Plez help, i'll try and give you as much info as possible.
Oh, and i've unplugged the ISV. i did it a little while back, like a week or 2 ago. i just uplugged the electrical side of it, thats all.
its raining (drizzingly) if that makes a difference

[Modified by Atlantonius the IInd, 12:33 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: serious car problems! help plez (needaveedub)

update: my car is completely dead. there is no electricity to start it. my overhead light is extremely dim and nothing comes on. i just replaced my starter like a few weeks to a month ago (after replacing it a month before). maybe the starter? maybe that is what was grinding>? i don't know, all i remember is that the grinding sound felt like it was coming from either right in front of my feet or around there (near the starter too).

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: serious car problems! help plez (SeattleGLI)

thanks guys, i've also talked with a friend of mine from cali (Burnout) and he told me that it was probably the starter. it sounds consistent, but i havn't been able to go back out and take the starter off to attempt a push-start and see how that runs. my battery is dead anyhow, so i'll need a jump. its raining and dark already so i'll just do it tommarrow.
this is my second starter in 2 months. i originally thought that i could get a crappy starter from canadian tire and it would last for at least a year and i'd be fine until i got a chance to go back to the states where prices are reasonable. however, my first starter died on my over night about a month after i put it in, and this is the replacment starter that i got from them. again, almost exactly a month later, this thing is on the fritz. i don't know if its even worth going back there and getting another one. i'm gonna try to get a refund or even credit, but they'll probably tell me that all i can get is a replacement. oh well, there's always ebay. a friend of mine and i are going to a junker tommarow anyhow so i'll see if i can find a used OEM and just get that for cheap.
if anyone has an idea as to why i'm going through starters so fast, i'd love to hear it. i had a starter on before these past 2 went which lasted a year. before that one was the stock starter which seemed to last forever.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: serious car problems! help plez (SeattleGLI)

sounds kinda stupid asking, but how bad will it be to replace the flywheel if in fact i've stripped the teeth? i just want to be prepared in my head as to what i may have to get into.
if in fact i have, would it be worth just getting a lightened flywheel? thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.