VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thus far I have replaced the alternator and the ignition switch. I can't seem to figure out the problem but hopefully ill get a friend over here tonight to scan the car with vag-com.
my basic problems are:
dimming interior lights
dimming headlights
interior fan fluttering
radio shutting on and off
ABS light flicking on and off while driving
airbag light coming on and off while driving
tachometer and speedo shutting off while driving
rough idle
I believe all these problems are related to one central cause because they all started happening around the same time and have been getting worse and worse.
Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Serious electrical issues (formerly silveratljetta)

Basically what is happening is that when the ABS and airbag systems see low voltages, they shut down causing the lights on my dash to flicker etc. I cant figure out for the life of my why the car cannot maintain adequate voltage. I would think it would be the voltage regulator on the alternator but the alternator is less than a month old. It is reading 14.4 volts to the battery at idle which is good voltage.

·
Registered
619 Posts

Quote, originally posted by formerly silveratljetta »

ill get out my bentley tonight. How many engine grounds are there?

i know theres some under the battery tray, some in the rain tray. all the connections good and tight in the new alt.?

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

im having a local mechanic take a look at it. So far I have replaced:
1. Alternator (car worked flawlessly for a week after I installed it, then problems persisted).
2. Ignition switch (no effect on symptoms after this).
Ill keep everyone updated just in case someone else is having electrical gremlins attack their car.
As soon as I get this problem solved the car will be sold to a guy in GA. Im going to be out of the scene for the next two years or so until I graduate law school and I can find my way into a newer dub (r32?) or preferably a used audi.

·
Registered
233 Posts

How old is your battery? I suspect a bad cell in your battery can cause electrical problems. mine was a year old and had problems with short to ground fault. I replaced the battery and now so far so good.

·
Registered
20,452 Posts
Re: Serious electrical issues (Balomo41)

if battery is ok, pull the battery tray and clean the ground connection under it. and obviously make sure the bat terminals are tight.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: Serious electrical issues (vwrogers)

Quote, originally posted by vwrogers »
checked all the grounds? long shot but you never know.

That's not necessarily a long shot. It's actually a fairly common problem.
The neg battery cable connects to the engine block at one end, at the top of the bellhousing, and of course to the - battery terminal at the other. In the middle it connects to the chassis under the battery tray. Undo the connections, check them, clean them, tighten them back down.
Bad grounds will wreak havoc with many different systems in the car, and may even cause various intermittent engine faults.
Also check the + lead from the alternator, particularly at the end where it joins the fuse panel on top of the battery. Does that end get hot and soften the plastic? That's a common affliction on MkIV VWs too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.