VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Nice to talk with you. I have a quick question. I have the Serious Vision HID Kit for my 1999.5 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 sedan. I love it, and it is made especially for Audi cars. Does anyone use this kit? I guess the output is like 5900K! Alot higher then OEM which is 4100K and 4300K. Is that right? Does the higher the Kelvin rating mean the lights are brighter, whiter, or bluer? Or does it have nothing to do with it.
Thanks for your help!
Best regards,
David

· Registered
755 Posts
Re: Serious Vision Xenon Kit for Audi (DMWisniewski)

I haven't used that kit but to answer part of your question, the higher you go in color temperature with HIDs, the less the light output is.
4300 K puts out something like 3200 lumens while 6000 K puts out something like 2800 lumens. I think 4100 to 4300 K is the optimum color temperature for light output (without increasing the watts on the ballast of course)
At the same time, the higher in color temperature you go, the bluer the light becomes. But don't be confused by the color that your eye sees the lights of another car with HIDs when its coming towards you. That blue/purple hue you see is caused be the projectors rather than the color output of the bulb. The light bends around the shield of the projector (like a prism effect) and it produces that color. That is only the "preceived" color of the light and not is output color.
If you compare a 4300K light output on the ground with a 6000K output (on the ground), you will notice that the 4300K is much whiter. The 6000K output actually reflects blue off of a white surface.
When cops stop someone for having blue lights, they will put a white paper in front of the headlight. If the paper reflects white you are okay, if it reflects blue, you are busted! This is how they can tell the blue coated bulbs from HIDs. (Well, its just easy by looking, but they want to have proof that you have something illegal installed)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Serious Vision Xenon Kit for Audi (Bugging55)

Very good answer - that makes perfect sense. I never knew that test the cops use for lighting. Yes, I agree, it is so easy to tell the others from the HIDs. I always drive next to those guys, and give them a thumbs down - they why...its the Xenon in the eye!
Anyways, like now with all the salt on the roads, sometimes the light looks blue, and sometimes it does not. Oh yeah, can you explain why Xenons when looking from the drivers perpective is white, but others think they are blue? Why do other cars with HIDs look bluer than mine sometimes when I drive next to them?
Thanks bud!

· Registered
2,255 Posts
Re: Serious Vision Xenon Kit for Audi (DMWisniewski)

as was said above, prism effect. if you look at HID from the about 45 degrees on or so it will look bluish but if you walk into the front of the car it will begin to look whiter and whiter. it is just the light bending around the corners of the projector

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.