VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get above 5PSI without my main serpentine belt slipping (16vG60)
I have a few options:
1) go to a larger pulley.
Pulley - Diameter
68mm - 213.62812
70mm - 219.9113
72mm - 226.19448
78mm - 245.04402
As you can see, the larger the pulley, the more mm's that the belt has to grip and the farther out it stretches the belt.
ie 78mm moves belt out 5mm farther from centre and gives about 16mm extra of grip (approx)
Disadvantage, less boost, have to remove SC to change pulley, need new pulley.
2) shorter belt, this would allow me to tighten the belt better and allow for stretching easier.
Advantage: easy to change belt
Disadvantage: may not solve problem.
Other options???

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Re: Serpentine belt slipping problem - solutions? (OttawaG60)

you dont have to remove the sc to change the pulley

would a new tensioner help??? some way to rig the tensioner for more *compression* http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif belt dressing?? out of curiosity...how do you know its slipping?? does it squeal like a v belt? why not just do the simple fix of using a smaller belt

[Modified by G60_Likes_2_Break, 7:05 PM 8-4-2002]

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Serpentine belt slipping problem - solutions? (G60_Likes_2_Break)

I'm using a timing belt tensioner(due to space) and it's as tight as it will go.
I know it's slipping because a) I can hear it and b) my boost gauge goes 3psi, 5psi, 3 psi etc at the same rate as the squeaking

[Modified by OttawaG60, 7:11 PM 8-4-2002]

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

sorry i am just noticing the 16v setup..so maybe i am once again completey frickin wrong
how is the belt routing???? the same as a normal G60?? 180 degrees of belt contact is also crucial to get max grip for the designed belt tensioner.... might have to bite the 20 dollar bullet and get the smaller belt

-could get a bigger crank pulley

-the slipping could be at the crank too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by G60_Likes_2_Break, 7:42 PM 8-4-2002]

[Modified by G60_Likes_2_Break, 7:52 PM 8-4-2002]

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

J,
I know that your pulley should come off without having to remove the charger.
Also, we can try any combinations of KK pullies to see if your setup will still pick up more grip. Give me a shout and we'll get to it. I'll try to remember to bring a handful of pullies to the new house tomorrow (monday)
come out for a drive (to break in that charger some more!) and you can scoop them to try out.
Gord has to come out to get a chizzzznip as well

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

Unfortunately, the belt stretches quite a bit when under load. maybe multiple tensioners would give you a better handle on the belt, or else look into one of the GM (4.3L V6) or Ford (5.0L) tensioners. They may or may not fit in the confines of your engine, but are relatively cheap and offer quite a bit of adjustment. It's worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

quote:[HR][/HR] how is the belt routing???? the same as a normal G60?? 180 degrees of belt contact is also crucial to get max grip for the designed belt tensioner.... might have to bite the 20 dollar bullet and get the smaller belt

-could get a bigger crank pulley

-the slipping could be at the crank too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
[HR][/HR]​
Slippage is definitely at the SC.
Belt routing is not like the stock G60, I'm using a timing belt tensioner for tension.
Crank->WP->Idler->Alt->SC->tensioner
Getting a different crank isn't really an option, my magnets are mounted in this one.

[Modified by OttawaG60, 2:14 AM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

The stock tensioner on my charger moves about 1/2"-3/4" when you just rev the motor in neutral. Post a pic of your belt routing so we can get a better idea of some alternatives. The routing of the belt makes a big difference in the amount of slack a given tensioner can take up.

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Re: Serpentine belt slipping problem - solutions? (trendy tramp)

Oliver is snapping belts with his toothed system.
the grippys on the pulley is a good idea especially if you do it on a steel 78mm. to do this just take a pair of channel locks or really large vise grips and grip down on the serp grooves and then there is traction. But the best setup would be to go buy a few differant belts from a couple of differant part stores and swap them out. most part stores have a belt measuring tool and not all 68.5" belts are the same length. Napa's belts vary in differant sizes compared to Pep boys and auto zone. buy 3 belts about $45 USD and then rotate the $$ to differant belt sizes and sooner or later you'll have it down. it took 5 differant belts for my friend's ABA NO A/C engine swap into an A2 all were either too short or too long by .5" and then we found a belt that was sized a little different

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Serpentine belt slipping problem - solutions? (jwatts)

quote:[HR][/HR]The stock tensioner on my charger moves about 1/2"-3/4" when you just rev the motor in neutral. Post a pic of your belt routing so we can get a better idea of some alternatives. The routing of the belt makes a big difference in the amount of slack a given tensioner can take up.[HR][/HR]​
Ok, here is a pic taken during the winter.
There is an idler where the X is now, and the alt is closer into the bracket (off a Mk3 2L, not the 16v that is shown)
Does that help?

[Modified by OttawaG60, 10:03 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Serpentine belt slipping problem - solutions? (G60ING)

quote:[HR][/HR]Oliver is snapping belts with his toothed system.
the grippys on the pulley is a good idea especially if you do it on a steel 78mm. to do this just take a pair of channel locks or really large vise grips and grip down on the serp grooves and then there is traction. But the best setup would be to go buy a few differant belts from a couple of differant part stores and swap them out. most part stores have a belt measuring tool and not all 68.5" belts are the same length. Napa's belts vary in differant sizes compared to Pep boys and auto zone. buy 3 belts about $45 USD and then rotate the $$ to differant belt sizes and sooner or later you'll have it down. it took 5 differant belts for my friend's ABA NO A/C engine swap into an A2 all were either too short or too long by .5" and then we found a belt that was sized a little different[HR][/HR]​
You mean actually score the pulley, making little "teeth"?

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Re: Serpentine belt slipping problem - solutions? (DougG60)

are you using the spring tensioner on the 16v setup? if so, why not try the BBM adjust tensioner cap?

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Serpentine belt slipping problem - solutions? (BLUE NRG)

my alt light came on at 5K , then 3K, then 1K.
I'm hoping the damn alternator didn't eat all my belts as they are now all MIA shredded to pieces.

I'ma thinking slipped the main serpentine belt has lead to its sudden death, so dude, dont go driving any far distance without a spare!!

[Modified by mrkrad, 10:33 PM 8-5-2002]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.