VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

my belt tensioner is off alignment with the serpentine belt. It looks like the tensioner is protruding a bit too far and the belt is a bit over the edge of the roller. How can I ajust the alignment of the tensioner? Any pics or diagram can help if any of you guys have had this issue.

[edit]
I'm pretty sure this is causing a short but LOUD squeal when doing a cold start (under 5 celcius). My car is a 2000 jetta with the AEG engine if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Contacted the shop who put it there this morning and they told me it could be a pulley that's disaligning it with the tensioner. Seems weird since they look all aligned except for the tensioner roller..

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
i had this. its more than likely the bolt that holds the tensioner rod in the tensioner itself has either backed out or fallen out all together. mine was missing so i copped one from a junk yard and put blue lock-tite on it and its fine now. its a small bolt that goes on the back side, in the middle. its got an allen head, either 4.5 or 5 mm. let me know what you find, or send me a pic or 2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took it back and they just swapped it with another one since it was a recent repair. Now it's dead center. Thanks for the advise though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts