VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good way to swap the serpentine belt/tensioner setup from an MK3 to an MK2 8 valve? I want to lose the A/C and power steering. V-belts SUCK! Did any MK3 come without both A/C and P/S? HELP!!!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Re: Serpentine on A2 (FastLapRSII)

Only 3% of MKIII produced came w/out air as far as power steering in the US I think thay all came with it. I just sold a complete serpentine setup due to the cost of deleting the air. Bracket for no air can be bought at the dealer for the low price of $300. If you are handy I am sure you could fab something. i got rid of it to keep the weight down. The 2.0 is currently tucked in the rear of my 64 bug. Later

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Re: Serpentine on A2 (FastLapRSII)

I've looked at some bracket mods that others did to A1 brackets for no air and think it's going to take either the dealer bracket - $270 my cost, or a custom bracket. The A3 no A/C bracket is springloaded for belt tensioning but still has the mount for the PS. We removed both PS and A/C from the 90 Coupe. Haven't figured out how to do the alternator yet, but plan to use the 1.8 tensioning bracket if we can't work up a spring loaded device.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: Serpentine on A2 (OhioBenz)

boys... I don't understand at all... I have removed the AC only by changing the water pump pulley. cost 18 bucks CAN, mean around 5 buck us... joke... maybe around 10-12 bucks...
anyway, it's the only part i needed to remove the ac setup from a 2.0 crossflow, and the 1.8 is the same. I changed the belt for a no ac car...
Zaskar

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Re: Serpentine on A2 (zaskar)

Not true the A2 requires the NON AC waterpump and crankshaft pulley. You also need the alternator bracket. or you can get out the hack saw and saw the stock one for your weight loss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts