VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Number VWA-04-12, dated May 4, 2004.
Picked up a copy of this at my dealer today. Covers VINS to 4D025443.
Warranty repair. VW will pay for a one-time wheel alignment and for vehicles with premature tire wear, for front tires only. Will also be reimbursed as consequential damage if applicable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Service Circular for wheel alignment (spockcat)

Thanks! I'll demand a reimbursement... I have been trying to make them pay for an alignment done April 28th. The alignment measures were completely off, but since I did not have unusual tire wear (my car had 5K only), they refused to pay. Go figure! I should wait until my tires are gone before doing the alignment? Then it will be much more expensive for them! But with this circular I think I'll be able to win this battle.

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Service Circular for wheel alignment (SERVICEMANGLER)

Quote, originally posted by SERVICEMANGLER »
Thanks for the post! I've never seen that circular!!!!

Yeah, I guess things have to work their way from East to West and from North to South.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Actually VW is a little slow to let dealers have information - often I hear about something from a customer before I get any info. I don't understand why all car companies are so slow. They say it is a legal matter - but if info is released - we should get that info in a timely fashion! Lexus, Toyota, Porsche, and BMW were all the same way! A fax or e-mail from Auburn Hills shouldn't take but nanoseconds to reach every dealer in the US!

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Re: Service Circular for wheel alignment (DakotaTouareg)

So, you have four front tires, right? Seems the service history should prove this point for you. How's your relationship with the service manager? If you are on good terms I would bet he would go to bat for you.

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Service Circular for wheel alignment (DakotaTouareg)

I am getting 4 new tires but have to pay for 1 due to the fact that I have pretty high mileage (16.5k). This is a reasonable compromise if you ask me. But the uneven wear didn't really show up until about 13k, well after I rotated, so the rear tires are evenly worn.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

I switched to the 19" right after my first oil change. So I didnt really notice the uneven tire wear. However, I am going to claim my free alignment!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: Service Circular for wheel alignment (4x4s)

I rotated at 5,000 and 10,000 miles (at VW dealers) so I have 4 front tires. Have 14,000 now and the inside wear is just starting to be very noticeable once pointed out. All 4 look almost identical. Probably would be worse except a lot of my miles were long distance trips (Denver, Miami). The Dunlop dealer said local driving is much harder on tires than long distance trips. My dealer will inspect May 18. He says he doesn't have the equipment to do a Touareg alignment. Will be interesting to see how this gets resolved. I called the Porsche dealer down the street from the VW dealer and he says he will be happy to do an alignment on the Touareg.
I would very much like to know if others with the toe out problem have noticed tire noise level going up as the tires wear.

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the car back today. 4 new tires, paid for 1 at $225 (about $50 more than Tire Rack would charge for this tire). Car's front toe was out of spec on both front wheels. Not a lot but enough to cause tire wear. Also needed a camber adjustment on the left rear.
I've only had it up to 60 mph so far but the tires seem much smoother too.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Three weeks ago at 7K miles I replaced the stock 18" Contis with 20" - like yours except I went with the AT Magnum. Last night I looked closely at the 18's and they are all down to about 9/32 and the wear appears even. Questions:
Did you notice any wear problems at around 7K?
Do you think I should put the 18's back on to get the alignment?
Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Service Circular for wheel alignment (Voorherf)

Same tires, Conti 4x4 contact. They weren't inclined to let me pick and choose although they asked me what tires I had on the car over the phone and I could have lied to them.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Quote, originally posted by spockcat »
Got the car back today. 4 new tires, paid for 1 at $225 (about $50 more than Tire Rack would charge for this tire). Car's front toe was out of spec on both front wheels. Not a lot but enough to cause tire wear. Also needed a camber adjustment on the left rear.
I've only had it up to 60 mph so far but the tires seem much smoother too.

Hi SpockCat -
I'm bringing my Touareg in to the dealer Wednesday to have the alignment checked/adjusted. I had 2 problems, slight vehicle pull to the right and feathering of the front tires along the edges. Back tires were perfect.
As I recall, you had your vehicle aligned at sport riding height. Yes? Do you remember what the final measurements were for the alignment? I've seen the printout that gives the ranges for Toe-in, Camber, Caster, etc. I'm interested if you have the exact readings once your alignment was done?
The reason that I ask is that I'm going to request that the dealer call me once the pre-adjustment alignment measurements are taken on my vehicle. I'd like to see exactly what they are and then request some specific values within the allowable range. Specifically, I'm going to request the following:
Camber
Right Front: -30' (maximum negative camber)
Left Front: -15' (15' less negative camber than right)
Caster
Right Front: +9 degrees 5' (maximum positive caster)
Left Front: +8 degrees 50' (15' less positive caster than right)
All other measurements exactly to spec.
I hope this will eliminate the feathering of the front tires and help keep the car tracking straight on a majority of roads. I might alter my request depending on the pre-adjustment values...and maybe what you tell me were your final measurements and satisfaction.

Modified by leebo at 8:16 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,579 Posts

Spock, you are worth your weight in gold. I don't know where you come up with thses things, but you provide an incredibly valuable service to all who read these boards. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.
PS: Where the heck is my phaeton emergency brake pedal? I've been chasing down every UPS truck I've seen and threatening the drivers with bodily harm

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Hi spockcat -
The amount of cross caster (30') and cross camber (20') were more than I was expecting (~15' for each) from my casual reading. So this is great information!
Do you know where your truck finally ended up within the ranges?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.