VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this quite a relaxing view.
Though I did not realize they literally just covered the leaf springs in oil as part of a lube job.

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
There is a closed retro looking gas station up the road from me. Used to be a Getty about 5 years ago.

I love the design of the building, right off the I-91 / 691 / Merrit junction, so lots of potential traffic. I've always had visions of buying it and bringing back the full service station at self-service prices with Top Tier fuel. And by full service, I mean checking the oil, cleaning the windshield and checking air pressure. I envision lots of neon, a-al Flo's and piping 50s/60s music. All a pipe dream at this point.

Cloud Sky Plant Property Tree

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
2,732 Posts
There is a closed retro looking gas station up the road from me. Used to be a Getty about 5 years ago.

I love the design of the building, right off the I-91 / 691 / Merrit junction, so lots of potential traffic. I've always had visions of buying it and bringing back the full service station at self-service prices with Top Tier fuel. And by full service, I mean checking the oil, cleaning the windshield and checking air pressure. I envision lots of neon, a-al Flo's and piping 50s/60s music. All a pipe dream at this point.

View attachment 135905
I worked with a guy in my last job and he had this same dream. He talked to me about it weekly for the 5 years we worked together. I actually think it would be a really cool thing to do.

My wife and I drive past the gas station Frank Lloyd Wright designed in Cloquet, MN a couple of times a year. It's really cool that it's still an active gas station but it definitely doesn't seem to be well kept.

Sky Cloud Tree Plant Gas

·
Premium Member
6,996 Posts
That was worth the 10min watch. Also interesting to see what tech has evolved/changed or stayed the same. That air valve, no change. The air hose, apparently they came pre-cracked from the factory.

·
Registered
85,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on the lack of rust prevention back then I assume the chassis Lube job was for lubrication and also for rust protection of important parts.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,602 Posts
Though I did not realize they literally just covered the leaf springs in oil as part of a lube job.
So the leaf springs would not squeak.

So the brand new '57 Chevy needed oil, water and air? Not sure I'd pop the radiator cap off on a car that was just driven...

Also, I still have an oil can spout.

·
Registered
85,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,602 Posts
... and down the YT rabbit hole.

·
Registered
180 Posts

View attachment 135905
I really love the repurposing of these old gas/service stations.

This:
Property Sky Window Rectangle Building

To this (Mediterranean/Israeli restaurant):
Tire Automotive tire Rectangle Wheel Shade

Plant Table Furniture Sky Cloud

This:
Window Building Sky Building material Fixture

To this (In progress) (Fancy burger and shakes place):
Sky Plant Cloud Building Tree

and this one (Catering facility):
Window Property Building Plant Tree

These are all in my neighborhood, fyi. Not sure why there were so many in such close proximity.

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat VR6 4Motion sedan
1,829 Posts

This:
View attachment 135982

View attachment 135987
View attachment 135984

This:
View attachment 135985

View attachment 135986

View attachment 135989

These are all in my neighborhood, fyi. Not sure why there were so many in such close proximity.
Is this last one the old Otto's in midtown/Westport KCMO?

·
Registered
85,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The long low pitch slanted roof style is actually popular again.
Just build new but make it look like old.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,718 Posts

This:
View attachment 135982

View attachment 135987
View attachment 135984

This:
View attachment 135985

View attachment 135986

View attachment 135989

Coffe place near me. Very cool redo inside.

·
Registered
M3, CX-5, Tahoe, motorcycles
2,811 Posts
This is my go-to mechanic. His grandparents opened the place some time in the 1920s.

Wheel Sky Cloud Tire Automotive parking light

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Then there's this one about a mile from my house. It's just used as storage. I dream about turning either into a golden-era BMW shop.

Sky Cloud Road surface Asphalt Street light

·
Registered
85,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You let Mr Bean work on your cars?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I worked at a full service gas station in high school(yes I am that old)Probably the last full service in town at the time. We did the windshield, oil and air deal and kept a wisk broom handy if you wanted your floors swept. Between fill ups we did light auto repair(brake jobs etc) Not a great job in 20 degree weather.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts