VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called the local Dodge dealer to see if they had and SRT 4 in stock. 5 connections later I finally get goofus salesman that tells me they have 2, come on down. So I get there and said salesman doesnt come out for 12 minutes after being paged. This guy is obviously a highschool drop out. He immediately starts trying to pre-qualify me, and I tell goober to go fetch the keys. 5 minutes later he comes back and says the manager doesnt like to let people test drive them unless they are buying it. I ask goober how am I supposed to know if I want to buy it if I have never driven one. His response is to stare at the floor and drool, so I promptly leave.
In the same complex there is a Nissan dealership. I stopped in just to check out what 350Zs they have out front, and the next thing I know the salesman is handing me the keys.
I drove a silver Enthusiast model. First thing I noticed are the dorky stick on door handles. They seriously ruin the side of the car. The wheels were a little blah for a car of this caliber, but I think they did that intentionally so they could sell the Track model that has really nice wheels.
The interior: Ingress and egress are surprisingly painless for a sports car. Seats are comfy, but firm, and the ergonomics are almost flawless. The driving position is awesome. The giant, single piece plastic door panel looks a little on the cheap side, as does the interior door handle which felt like it would break. In addition to the main gauge cluster, there are 3 additional gauges in the center of the dash, just like the old school Z cars. One of them is a multi function display. The coolest thing about this, is that you can set the RPM at which the shift light is activated. The shifter was stiff, and slightly vague, but the throws were short and solid. The clutch travel was fairly short, and the feel was nice and firm. The storage space is a joke. It looks like they intentionally filled up what would have been the back seat with 37 useless compartments. The goofy 12 inch diameter strut brace in the rear virtually eliminates any usefullness that may have been. There is actually a sticker on the hatch that shows a diagram of how to wedge two golf bags back there. I have a small stand bag, and I am pretty sure it wouldnt fit.
Performance: The roads were wet so I couldnt really push it too hard. However I did induce some throttle on oversteer at low speeds and the car seemed to be easy to handle and fairly balanced (no exaggerated oversteer). The engine revs nicely, has a great sound and pulls decievingly smooth. My first thought while running it up through 4th was that it wasnt that quick.....then I noticed how fast the speedo was climbing. The brakes were a bit grabby, but easy to modulate after initial application. The grabbiness was probably due to the newness of the car. This is car is very easy to drive quickly and smoothly. However, if you do snap off a quick shift it will bounce your head on the head rest. The V6 sounds sooo nice. Did I mention it sounds good?
For a base price of <$27k, I think this car is hard to beat. Decent looks, great performance, and a good excuse to take your partner's car to the golf course. IMHO a used G35 coupe would be the better way to go for me. Same car sans goofy doro handles and useless storage compartments.

·
Registered
22,855 Posts
Re: Set out to drive SRT-4. Got rejected and drove a 350z instead. (SlvrBllt)

I test drove a SRT4, the salesman didn't really let me rip her up but you easily can tell the little car has pop. Where as the 350Z I've driven, delivers good linear power, it feels flatter around corners than the SRT4, even going 20-25mph around a corner in the SRT4 I can feel the wheelspin .
Different cars really.. I much prefer the 350Z's sports car feel than the SRT4 pocket rocket feel.

·
Banned
26,760 Posts
Re: Set out to drive SRT-4. Got rejected and drove a 350z instead. (SlvrBllt)

Quote, originally posted by SlvrBllt »
Set out to drive SRT-4. Got rejected and drove a 350z instead.

Good- you ended up getting to drive a better car anyway! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts