VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey... so a month ago I received an email from an admin here that I am no longer allowed to share videos my Porsche rebuilding thread because it was considered advertising. I wrote back and said how is it considered advertising; what am I advertising? I've reached out several times and never heard any answer.

I am super confused about this. I've done plenty of build threads before:

https://imgur.com/gallery/qXQGw. <---- 78 Sleekcraft Tunnelhull Resto

https://imgur.com/a/PH3jI. <----- 95 Audi S6 Avant Restoration

Both of those are just albums from the actual build threads so they're easy to share, and I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from them. A little over a year ago, I decided to document my Audi RS2 Upgrade in a timelapse format with a GoPro; I did the whole thing using as many continuous shots as possible, stripped the front end of the car, disassembled the top end of the engine, rebuilt an RS2 turbo, cerakoted everything, put it all back together... it was a cool way to show a complex project and it has over 40k views on youtube so people obviously dig it. Pretty proud of it!

So when I tackled my 911 build... I decided to do a video series to show people what I'm looking at, what I'm confused about (since I have no idea what I'm doing on an aircooled engine and I'd never done it before), and what I'm accomplishing. I'm also trying to be as informative as possible, so if someone else finds themselves with a similar situation, they can pick up on tips/tricks.

My thread is now deleted. What sucks is that I was posting my video updates here, on pelican forums, and on rennlist, and I was getting AWESOME tips at every forum! Some of the best feedback, ironically, was from here on the vortex, a non porsche specific forum.

I guess I don't get it. I'm just some dude. I'm not a SMASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE douchebag, I'm just doing a video series on the biggest project of my life, and I was enjoying sharing it with some car communities because it helped my build. I'm not sponsored. I'm not advertising anything.

If I took screen shots of my videos, and posted them as strings of images with captions, that is allowed, but if I just record myself doing it, then it isn't allowed??? It doens't make any sense. I wasn't trying to spam this board, I'm just geeked about cars and boats, and I was trying to share what I am geeked about and hoping to find other people geeked about the same things.

Discuss.

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
503 Posts
That’s seems really strange and some what hypocritical imo.

You sure the thread is gone ?

Did you go through your profile to see all your posts? There’s a section u can view everything you’ve ever posted in one spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s seems really strange and some what hypocritical imo.

You sure the thread is gone ?

Did you go through your profile to see all your posts? There’s a section u can view everything you’ve ever posted in one spot

Yeah but that's always been broken on my profile. Maybe it would work for you? When I click threads started by me, it doesn't show hardly anything, most of htem don't even show up.

·
Registered
18,699 Posts
I post my build threads here all the time and no one has ever messed with them. They are pretty tight about language and doing illegal stuff. Maybe you stepped on someone's toe.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
There's not a direct revenue line to you when you post written descriptions and pictures. There is (possibly) when you post YouTube videos. It doesn't seem very complicated to me, and I can understand the position of the admins.

I've toed this line here myself when I get lazy, but I try to provide actual written content and pictures in addition to a YouTube video for those that are interested.

·
Registered
'14 ML350, '12 Miata, '10 MINI, '99 528i, '98 323i, '03 FLHTCUI
5,600 Posts
There's not a direct revenue line to you when you post written descriptions and pictures. There is (possibly) when you post YouTube videos. It doesn't seem very complicated to me, and I can understand the position of the admins.
This...

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
40,165 Posts
twice. no response.
Hmmm....it is the weekend. But if you were warned not to self promote than I don’t know what to tell you. It does seem like you may have stepped on somebody’s toes though. This is what I see when I search your started threads.

·
Premium Member
11,101 Posts
and now i want french fries. for a dollar off.

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
They're pissed off they aren't getting click through credit on the videos and instead you're sending money to youtube (even if you aren't getting anything out of it). Simply put, it's Bullshti. And the mods should rectify this instead of allowing some tech jockey in a cubicle sending you a message because some generic mix of red flags triggered a response on what is someone's paint by numbers instruction sheet on how to do their job.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm....it is the weekend. But if you were warned not to self promote than I don’t know what to tell you. It does seem like you may have stepped on somebody’s toes though. This is what I see when I search your started threads.

Yeah it’s been like this for a while. Weird right?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey... so a month ago I received an email from an admin here that I am no longer allowed to share videos my Porsche rebuilding thread because it was considered advertising. I wrote back and said how is it considered advertising; what am I advertising? I've reached out several times and never heard any answer.

I am super confused about this. I've done plenty of build threads before:

https://imgur.com/gallery/qXQGw. <---- 78 Sleekcraft Tunnelhull Resto

https://imgur.com/a/PH3jI. <----- 95 Audi S6 Avant Restoration

Both of those are just albums from the actual build threads so they're easy to share, and I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from them. A little over a year ago, I decided to document my Audi RS2 Upgrade in a timelapse format with a GoPro; I did the whole thing using as many continuous shots as possible, stripped the front end of the car, disassembled the top end of the engine, rebuilt an RS2 turbo, cerakoted everything, put it all back together... it was a cool way to show a complex project and it has over 40k views on youtube so people obviously dig it. Pretty proud of it!

So when I tackled my 911 build... I decided to do a video series to show people what I'm looking at, what I'm confused about (since I have no idea what I'm doing on an aircooled engine and I'd never done it before), and what I'm accomplishing. I'm also trying to be as informative as possible, so if someone else finds themselves with a similar situation, they can pick up on tips/tricks.

My thread is now deleted. What sucks is that I was posting my video updates here, on pelican forums, and on rennlist, and I was getting AWESOME tips at every forum! Some of the best feedback, ironically, was from here on the vortex, a non porsche specific forum.

I guess I don't get it. I'm just some dude. I'm not a SMASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE douchebag, I'm just doing a video series on the biggest project of my life, and I was enjoying sharing it with some car communities because it helped my build. I'm not sponsored. I'm not advertising anything.

If I took screen shots of my videos, and posted them as strings of images with captions, that is allowed, but if I just record myself doing it, then it isn't allowed??? It doens't make any sense. I wasn't trying to spam this board, I'm just geeked about cars and boats, and I was trying to share what I am geeked about and hoping to find other people geeked about the same things.

Discuss.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Does anyone know how to contact an admin or mod? I tried in the help forum but it seems like they don't read that either.
Not sure what you tried but last time I needed to I just sent them a PM. The list of mods can be found at the bottom of TCL page 1, under Forum Information and Options. I hope it gets sorted out!

·
Registered
21,651 Posts
I will text our handy-dandy local TCL mod right now :D.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,397 Posts
Weird. I know there are others sharing Youtube videos regularly... Ben Modified, the guy that bought the Westfalia last Spring (can't remember name).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts