VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon
10,746 Posts
They're pissed off they aren't getting click through credit on the videos and instead you're sending money to youtube (even if you aren't getting anything out of it). Simply put, it's Bullshti. And the mods should rectify this instead of allowing some tech jockey in a cubicle sending you a message because some generic mix of red flags triggered a response on what is someone's paint by numbers instruction sheet on how to do their job.
being a mod on here (and tcl) pre vmg sell off - pretty much it. just a post with a video to another site and nothing else would have gotten the blackhole and message from Anthony about spending money to be an advertiser. Previous practice would have been notifying you why it was moved to the blackhole and what site rule it broke.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That's VerticalScope life, baby! :laugh:

Also yeah, it's absolutely YouTube. The entirety of forum revenue comes from ad sales, so a click through to another ad sales platform (YouTube) where someone can effectively step out of the walled garden (the build thread) to subscribe and continue following your project is taking eyes off ads. I was served FIVE different ads while writing this three paragraph post.

And not to put too fine a point on it: You really do make some super cool, professional content. Which is a huge "I am trying to monetize my channel" red flag, even if it isn't your intent.

TL;DR: message boards are still alive but they're clinging on to every single last page view because it's the only path to revenue left in this space, and the advertising model used is antiquated CPM crap, so clicking away from the page upends the only way for the place to make money.

·
Administrator
19,739 Posts
Hey there ADDvanced,
I simultaneously saw this thread and received your PM late last night, sorry I didn't respond immediately, but I wanted to do some research on your content, who's been in contact with you, and what warnings you've received, and when.

Indeed you were notified by AG-Admin last month regarding 'revenue generating activity' (ie: commercial advertising). That account is operated by some of the corporate folks at VS/AG in Canada who regularly deal with advertising sales. I'll apologize on their behalf for not responding to your questions.

That said, as some of your web-cohorts have pointed out, when a user creates multiple accounts on multiple forums on the same day, and posts the same professionally produced content on those forums... well, honestly it looks like you're in this to generate revenue. Your product, what you're advertising and selling, is your content. As you know, it costs money to generate and produce content, host it and post it. That money has to come from advertising revenue. Which is why your posts were removed, you are generating revenue using their platform without sharing a little with VS/AG.

In the spirit of 'make nice', I've restored all of your build threads.

My ask of you is two-fold:
1. Please work with the advertising guys to come to some mutually agreeable arrangement where you can continue to post your content for consumption by the TCL crew.
2. In the future, don't post complaint/question threads like this in TCL. Post them here in the Help Forum, or reach out to one of the admins directly, specifically
- nater
- or myself

Thanks!:beer:

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,350 Posts
Nice to see there is some resolution. Sounds reasonable to me.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts