VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

321 - 340 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
My god, man. Those 4 spoke CL wheels are just pure sex.
Thank you! That was one of the first concepts. The finished wheel will hopefully be very similar but we are developing a 5-lug version as well. Or at least that's the ask, I'm still trying to work out the details on how to run 5 lugs with 4 spokes...

IDK if this is too much to ask, but could you please render me a new life?
Haha, once I get there I'll let you know.

·
Registered
44,311 Posts
Thank you! That was one of the first concepts. The finished wheel will hopefully be very similar but we are developing a 5-lug version as well. Or at least that's the ask, I'm still trying to work out the details on how to run 5 lugs with 4 spokes...
How about one silver lug nut in the middle of a spoke and 4 black lug nuts in the painted areas? It’s either that or some kind of circle to contain the lugs, which would compromise the handsome design of the spokes. At least I can’t think of much else.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
It's been too long. Time for a mega update!

911R

'71 911T front end

962C

924 GTP

A couple from my non-Porsche category that I know you guys will appreciate.

Skyline GTR

Jaguar E-Type Lightweight (I'm super happy with how this set came out)

Back on track!

Through the 914 project with Sung Kang I've received the scan data from the R&D car. The first task was to create a stock 914 that I will then use as a baseline for the new body components to mount to. I also have a bunch of the new parts modeled but those are top secret for now. :p

So these next images of the 914 are scratch build nurbs/CAD class-A surfacing models. Build using the scan data as a guide. I've made many 914 models over the years, each with increased accuracy, but this one I can positively say is the most accurate digital 3D model of a 914... ever...

One caveat, the scanned car didn't have it's roof on. So the targa top I have shown is eye-balled in. Likewise with some of the inner fender well geometry and some of the smaller components.

This one I pulled a bunch of parts (interior, wheels, small parts) from one of my previous models just to fill it out a bit more.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
a few of my newer renders

GT Fury

924 Carrera GT ARTZ shooting brake conversion

918 Spyder

718 Spyder

IROC 911

e30 M3 Sport Evo

and a DTM Audi V8

964 Carrera Cup with 1/18 scale replica

again in white sans mini version

and a new one of the engine model I made

·
Registered
44,311 Posts
Those are excellent as always!

Since I had missed the post previously, I see that you have a 911T and then a 964. Was one built from the other or did you buy the models? If you built them and one was indeed built from the other, how much are you able to use from the longhood to create the 964?

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
In that case, here's another. :)
You're too kind. :p

Aside-- do non-engineers/designers learn CAD programs like this? Or is it usually go hand-in-hand with someone already being in that profession? I guess a comparison would be the fact that I could learn Photoshop, be proficient at it and even earn money, yet have 0 background in photography.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Those are excellent as always!

Since I had missed the post previously, I see that you have a 911T and then a 964. Was one built from the other or did you buy the models? If you built them and one was indeed built from the other, how much are you able to use from the longhood to create the 964?
Both examples you mentioned are purchased models, I remodeled a few elements of the 911T, and I did the wheels for both.

You're too kind. :p

Aside-- do non-engineers/designers learn CAD programs like this? Or is it usually go hand-in-hand with someone already being in that profession? I guess a comparison would be the fact that I could learn Photoshop, be proficient at it and even earn money, yet have 0 background in photography.
The price for entry and steep learning curve typically makes the model software I use a non-starter for any hobbyist. But there are a lot of people who take up other cheaper nurbs modeling software, usually to create things to 3D print. Software like Fusion360 will get you to about %75 of what I do and can be had cheap or free.

On the rendering side of things there are definitely people who only render with purchased models, and as you said they can become proficient at it without ever needing to do any modeling, nurbs or poly. The rendering software I use is Keyshot which is really easy to step into. There are a lot of little things that you discover over time to increase the quality output though.

For rendering specifically, it helps A LOT to have some sort of photography background, specifically thinking about image composition, rule of thirds, placement of lighting, light temperature, etc. The rendering software is best described as The Matrix for a photographer, endless possibilities. A non-photographer can jump in and eek their way through it picking up skills as they go along, but a photographer can hit the ground running.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Might be the last time I post this model. I started with the Singer Classic model from Szymon Kubicki and I added everything to make a DLS. Essentially everything on the exterior minus the front trunk and doors, and several parts on the interior.

A new model is out now that is much more accurate, stuff I wanted to do but just didn't make time for it. I'll post up some comparisons once I get the new model set up, but for now you can check out this last one of mine.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #338 (Edited)
:eek:

If I didn't know better, I'd swear a bunch of these are photographs. Wow.
It's a side effect, haha. I much prefer the more abstract images where you know it's fake but at the same time it looks real. Like crazy pain jobs and studio solid color backgrounds.

Case in point.

Sometimes the "real" shots come out real nice too though.

321 - 340 of 352 Posts