VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to upgrade my FM mast antenna to a shark fin style on my 09Jetta S 4 door. i don't have satellite radio.
it has the colored plug in style thin antenna cable with a WHITE plug end on it WITHOUT the satellite signal plug if this matters . not the older thick black cable one like on the older cars.
my antenna had a broken mast stuck in the base so i replaced this with a another aftermarket mast style with a brown plug. it required trimming the retaining tab to get it to plug into my original cable. but it does work perfectly.
so far i have tried a newer model one with a white end, i have also also tried one with a green plug and one with a brown plug. i had to cut the retaining tabs to get these to plug into my cable. none of them have worked.
if it matters the antennas i have tried were only for FM signals. i haven't tried using ones with both signal plugs.

am i just buying bad antennas? or should i look for something different?
any suggestions?

THANKS in advance for your input.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The burgundy and brown colored Fakra connectors are used in VAG cars for the cellular reception frequencies. My experience, having retrofitted an antenna with the burgundy connector, was the AM reception was almost none existent and FM barely improved at all, YMMV of course.

My personal solution was to retrofit the secondary antenna (non diversity) on the rear glass as the euro MKVs and all MK6 have. I still replaced my rooftop sharkfin for SAT radio and GPS.

If you just wanted to "plug the hole" VW has 2 different "plugs", one flat (I've seen it on MK6 Jettas and Passats) and one that resembles the sharkfin but smaller in size (Tiguans and some Beetles).

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
The antenna is part of the rear defroster glass mesh. I did have to get the amplifier that goes with it on the passenger side of the hatch.

The one I used was 1K6035577AB. I think only US GTIs with factory GPS have this installed as both aerials for FM and AM are on the hatch glass. All others had either the whalefin or beesting antennas IIRC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
THANKS for the link.
i will not pay that much for a antenna. i will just use a shorty mast and live with the look before i pay that much for a antenna.
i checked with the VW parts department and the part # listed in this link, 1k0-998-507, isn't any good.
i googled the part # and found a thread where someone did a upgrade like i want to do about 10 years ago.
i checked with the parts department and it # was good. 1k0-035-507-j. they want a tick over $75, dealer cost, for it.
i am not paying that much for a antenna so i hit Ebay. i found a similar one for $35, has white plug, and bought it. i get it next week. if it doesn't work i can return it.
i will update the results when i get it.

on another note. i also found a thread like someone.posted that cars with shark fin antennas that have satallite and phone use the rear defogger as the radio antenna.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did this years ago on a MK5 Jetta. FYI, the sharkfin antenna is not used for FM reception (Only for Sirius/GPS/Cellular depending on the version). That's why it won't work. You'll need to find the Tiguan Sharkfin antenna that also has a hole in the back of it for screwing in a whip style antenna. The part numbers are:

1K0035501B - for GPS/Radio/Cellular (Blue/White/Burgundy)

5N0035501D- for GPS/Radio/Cellular (Blue/Gray/Burgundy)

5N0035501B - for GPS/Radio/Cellular/Sirius (Blue/Gray/Burgundy/Green)

5N0035501A - for Radio/Sirius (Gray/Green)

For your reference, the color of the plugs is:
White: AM/FM
Gray: AM/FM
Burgundy: Cellular
Blue: GPS
Green: Sirius

Here's an ebay link:
NEW OEM 1K0-035-501-B VW Golf R32 Gti Rabbit Variant 4Motion Tiguan base antenna | eBay

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
THANKS for the link.
i will not pay that much for a antenna. i will just use a shorty mast and live with the look before i pay that much for a antenna.
i checked with the VW parts department and the part # listed in this link, 1k0-998-507, isn't any good.
i googled the part # and found a thread where someone did a upgrade like i want to do about 10 years ago.
i checked with the parts department and it # was good. 1k0-035-507-j. they want a tick over $75, dealer cost, for it.
i am not paying that much for a antenna so i hit Ebay. i found a similar one for $35, has white plug, and bought it. i get it next week. if it doesn't work i can return it.
i will update the results when i get it.

on another note. i also found a thread like someone.posted that cars with shark fin antennas that have satallite and phone use the rear defogger as the radio antenna.
That Ecs kit contains the antenna with the part number you posted. Click on the contents tab and it will take you to part number 1k0-035-507-j. The Ecs kit is that antenna with a connector and they give it a number for their kit from what I can tell.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Got a picture of this antenna?
Sorry for a late post, I had to make a drawing to illustrate where it is, then took a close picture. It's the line on top in the picture. That single trace is not connected to the defroster and is split close to the middle. Passenger side is longer due to it having the AM amplifier.

The amplifier I was missing on the Rabbit was on the passenger side (R). GTI and Tiguan are the same design.

I have not looked at the Jetta/Passat but I suspect its a similar design, though the amplifier is a single unit.

Wagons/Touareg have the antennas on the rear side glass instead of the hatch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do not buy the ECS antenna. That part number is for a cellular antenna only. They include an aqua colored universal connector so that you can replace the burgundy colored one. Don’t be surprised if you get horrible am/fm reception with it since it’s designed for totally different frequencies than an am/fm antenna.

Regarding the VW dealer saying it’s the correct shark fin part number, it is correct for higher trim Jettas since the AM/FM antennas are integrated into the rear window glass as shown in the post above. For the S trim without the antennas in the glass, you’ll have a whip antenna on the car like OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SUCCESS
i got my ebay antenna delivered friday.
i worked on the car on saturady. while i was waiting for body filler to dry i checked the antenna. plugged the cable in and got good FM reception, the car is inside of a metal commercial building. moved it closer to the roof and the radio got significantly louder.
the antenna is in my car now. i will remove, take pics and post the VW part # in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as promised pic of antenna.
it's a rather large and heavy antenna, about 7" long. it has a very light to non existent texture that looks to be easily sanded and painted if you want to do that. it has 2 wires on it with a BLACK and LIGHT TAN plugs. the tan plug is exactly the same color as my whip antenna has. the tag from the salvage yard says it was off a 06 Jetta.
part # on back is 1k5- 035-507-e

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone wants solutions, but never wants to pay $5 too much

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
i agree with this for the most part.
i normally would just buy new and move on. the problem is i have WAY WAY to much $$$ in this car already.
i bought a 09 jetta S with 130K miles on it that had been sitting under a tree for 2 years. the car was a parents hand me down to i would assume to a young HS kid.
he modded it and beat the CRAP of of it. i assume he went off to college. 2 years later they tried to use it again but it wouldn't run.
i bought the car for $400. it needed almost EVERYTHING. complete suspension because everything was bent. wheels and tires. the DS air bag was replaced but needed DS overhead one, DS seat belt, and A/B module. still needs a ds seat and headliner.
i replaced the entire pulley system, timing chain components, oil pan, trans pan, valve cover, radiator, A/C condenser, raid support, and complete braking system including a under hood ABS module. the exhaust system was removed, but i did get the factory one that was originally on it when i bought the car.
it might need a new ECM. the original one was shot. i had to buy a used one, that needs to be reprogrammed. OEM was on a 20 WEEK back order at the time. the car does run and drive perfectly. it had a bunch of codes relating to the ECM that i can't get reprogrammed out. i will take it to the dealer reprogramming guy i know. hopefully he can straighten it out or i will have to buy a NEW factory one for $1500.
the car was rusty so it got new fenders, rocker panels, 1/4 panels, hood, trunk lid and a paint job under warranty.
basically i have completely rebuilt the entire car. there isn't much original car that's still being used.
i should have just sold it then. i am a glutton for punishment so i am doing a Smyth UTE conversion on it now.
the car is almost all roughed fiber glassed to 36 grit. i still need to straighten out some body lines and make a tonneau cover for it. i would also like to convert it over to black interior if i could do it for reasonable $$$.
i thought i HAD another car bought before i bought this one. the ex friend who is a car dealer had a parts car with everything i needed. he sold it out from under me but that's a story i won't post here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i am not really a poster.
the first pic is after my buddy got it running and the main suspension work was done. no springs or struts yet. the brakes haven't been done yet also.

second pic is after it was cut and the inner structure was bonded and riveted in. the panel the rear glass is mounted in is temporarily screwed on sitting outside of the VW dealer body shop i work at.
i usually only have time to work on it a couple of hours on Saturday.

i don't have any pics of how it sits currently.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
i am not really a poster.
the first pic is after my buddy got it running and the main suspension work was done. no springs or struts yet. the brakes haven't been done yet also.

second pic is after it was cut and the inner structure was bonded and riveted in. the panel the rear glass is mounted in is temporarily screwed on sitting outside of the VW dealer body shop i work at.
i usually only have time to work on it a couple of hours on Saturday.

i don't have any pics of how it sits currently.
pic of the fender and rocker panel rust.
second pic is the 1/4 panel rust. it doesn't look bad in this pic. but there is a rust hole about 2" circumference of the lower tip of the 1/4 panel where it meets the bumper.
You are well on your way, I wanted to do one of these but I just could not justify the cost for the project a few years back.........a decent Jetta and $3500+ for the kit and having a complete paint job after the bodywork, it would be upside down for me. So you going to shoot the paint yourself at the shop once done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have done everything except the motor repair and the ECM stuff. i did the radiator, suspension, brakes and wheels and tires. the front K member and rear suspension frame and the ABS under hood module i pulled myself at the local LKQ pick and pull salvage yard. the rest of the suspension. i did have our glass guy put a windshield in the car.
i still have a LOT of things i want to straighten out before i paint it. i will probably get the body lines like i want, then modify the tanneau cover then drive it for a while i make the interior trim parts.
i am currently getting the body lines on the tail gate lined up.

after that i want to get the tail lights to fit better, then modify a tanneau cover for the bed. a independent company does make then for these kits. they want WAY WAY to much $$$ for them. i have a really nice condition ford ranger tri-fold one i got for free. i will cut and weld the aluminum frame to fit then have a upholstery shop modify the vinyl to fit. i figure the one i modify will cost me less than 1/4 of the price of a new one when i am done..

the fiberglass work is pathetic on these kits.i was much younger i helped my neighbor do old bug kit cars builds in the 70's. this fiberglass work is probably worse than those kits.
if you can't do fiberglass work don't even consider building one of these kits.

this is how the cars sits as of this am when i drove it out of the shop.
the body work is still sitting in fiberglass filler in 36 grit scratches then epoxy primed with a roller.
once i get the body lines like i want them i will scuff down the epoxy and spread body filler over the epoxy then high build prime after that.

i am very gratefull the dealer i work at lets me keep the car at the shop when i am not working on it and lets me work on the car in my free time. once i get the car done they want to display it on the new car showroom for a while to show what we can do in the body shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
.........a decent Jetta and $3500+ for the kit and having a complete paint job after the bodywork, it would be upside down for me. So you going to shoot the paint yourself at the shop once done.
with the stupid $$$ they are paying for cars these days. a NICE rust free jetta that doesn't need a ton of work in my area sells for close to $5K.
the kit is $4500 now then add another $500 shipping.
honestly, i figure it will take about 200 hours to build this car. then ADD time for painting.
when i am done i will probably have over $14K in the car when i am done i only paid $400 for it when i bought it. and that's just for the car, parts, and paint and materials. nothing for the labor.
for comparison purposes i only have $15K in my supercharged 08 mustang bullitt.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts