VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The time has come. It's getting done. Started with this 1988 16V back in 2005.

Bone stock. Broken to the max. Fixed it up a lot and daily drove it when I got my license in early 2008.

Looked pretty much the same, but it had a lot of new work done under the hood.

Drive it to Cincy 2008 right at the same time I got my mk3. I haven't driven it since and started body work right after that.

Scored some fun stuff as mr. lee's car became my inspiration.

I started modding the mk3. It sat.

Shaving everything. Euro bumpers, euro lights, de-kitted, wiperless, spoilerless and 3rd brake light...less? Got the dream wheels for it too. 15x7 et28 ATS Cups. The definitive wheel for a rocco. They need work but they're all straight and free of curb rash.

Body work continued at my dad's office as I learned a lot more.

Shaving commenced, and there's still some spots that need to be welded up.

This year hasn't been a good year for it yet. I had a couple shows in my mk3 that I went to (one I placed first in class!). SoWo took all my time and money leading up to May, and Cincy was a couple weeks after that. It didn't seem like my 5th year. It made me sad knowing I brought my rocco only one of those times. I now have some good local Scirocco enthusiasts and I've been motivated to finish my first car.

I rolled to Cincy with my good friend Josh in his 87 16V. I let him use my bedlinered painted euro bumps since his shortened NA bumpers aren't done yet. I love the look with the red rub strip. I had a great time with everyone and it's always a great way to get motivated on my own rocco.

Test fitted the mk3's wheels on it just to see how the offsets would work. 15x7.5 et21 and 15x8.5 et8. They poked a bit, but I think these offsets are workable for a de-kitted mk2 if anyone ever wants to try em...

And got it photoshopped lower (did I mention I've got the lowering suspension ready for it!?)

Now it's apparent it's been in at least 2 wrecks. In the front driver side and passenger rear quarter. I'm led to believe the frame is tweaked so the next step is to get it on a frame straightener and see how messed up it really is. It might mean I have to start hunting for a new shell... but I sure hope not.

Here's the most recent stages of the car this week. I removed the fenders and hood in hopes to find some that haven't been repainted 40 time and are free of tons of body filler.

I started it up for the first time in a year and it cranked over and fired right up no problem. After 20 seconds it was nicely idling at 800rpm and sounding good. I'm glad the drivetrain won't be much of an issue in finishing the car.

Interior wise... I am swapping the power windows for crank (my regulators are busted) and already installed a chrome bezel dash from an 83 I parted out years ago. It only has one crack... but it's a big one. I recovered the sunroof headliner board in black suede-like material. I have some Corrado leathers for the front and plan on doing a rear seat delete in the back. I have the fiberboard for it, just need to cut it to size and cover it in black and white checkerboard linoleum tile! (Very stoked on this look).

Next up is smoothed tails and modifying my Mk2 single round badgeless grill to fit euro head lights with deleted inner lights.

I have a tight school schedule this summer but I hope to work in it a lot From Thursday-Mondays (class is tuesday-thursday!). I have no job so I will have quite a bit of free time to work on it. Luckily I have most everything I need to finish the car so HOPEFULLY I won't have to spend a whole lot of money (I'm sure I will though).

:beer:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been talking about my mk3 a lot so I might as well post it. I know a lot of you have already seen it, but I like to whore :)

And me!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Nice work so far! Do you happen to have a shot directly from the rear with the 15x8.5? I'm still waiting for my lips so it's impossible to judge how much I need to move the rear arch out.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work so far! Do you happen to have a shot directly from the rear with the 15x8.5? I'm still waiting for my lips so it's impossible to judge how much I need to move the rear arch out.
Sorry no straight on rear pics. It poked a bit though! The tread did not poke though. Tires are 195/45R15 Toyo T1R's

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I sanded the tail light up to 2000 wet today. It shines great but I need to go out and buff it and hit it with some rubbing compound.

I haven't done the driver side because it's horribly cracked and tails with cracks always look like crap when they're polished. The smallest cracks show up. This tail light has a couple small hairline cracks but they're barely noticeable. I have another set of tails in the garage that will be polished next. This one was a trial run and is turning out great so far.

·
Registered
35,946 Posts
Great work. Keep it up! :thumbup:

It's about what my Scirocco looks like right now. Except mine still has the 16v kit installed on the rear quarters. :wave:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both tails shaved and polished. Next step is to tint the amber portions red. I'm on the fence on smoking them though because the car will be T-Red.

Sorry all my pics are from my phone. It takes decent pics though and I try to edit some using apps to make them look a bit better.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Trevor, really amazing job on the tails. May I recommend leaving them as is? I've yet to see Mk2 tails that were left untouched after polishing, so I think it would be nice to keep them stock(ish). Seriously, they look like candy!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What did you polish them with? It looks great
I used Mothers Metal/Aluminum Polish. I use it to polish my BBS RS lips and center caps. I'm sure there are better things to polish plastic with but it seemed to work very well. :thumbup:

Trevor, really amazing job on the tails. May I recommend leaving them as is? I've yet to see Mk2 tails that were left untouched after polishing, so I think it would be nice to keep them stock(ish). Seriously, they look like candy!
:thumbup:
I've been thinking about that too. I will see when the car is painted I guess. Time to move onto the next thing then.

1 - 20 of 409 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.