VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
topic just for your attention but somewhat related. is it possible to cut my oil pan in half and shave off a half inch in the middle to get extra clearance? or is there not enough play from the crank? anyone? and yes, i know i'd need less oil if i did this. anyone attempted this or know if it it's even possible since skid plated don't do jack unless you have at least an 1/8" to a 1/4" thickness.

Modified by autobahmer at 1:03 AM 3-20-2009

·
Banned
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: shaved oil pan? (blumpkin88)

Quote, originally posted by blumpkin88 »
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

i know it's a horrible thing to do, but what if i cut down THE corner? it's only aluminum

·
Banned
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (REXone)

Quote, originally posted by REXone »
sounds like lots of work for little results.

not really that much work.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Re: (REXone)

Quote, originally posted by REXone »
sounds like lots of work for little results.

x2
and I think the pick up is like only half an inch of the bottom of the pan isn't it? then you have no space for that..
also

·
Banned
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (Emron)

Quote, originally posted by Emron »
You can lift the motor for extra ground clearance.

i hope that's a joke, cause this isn't aircooled simplicity and THAT would be not worth the work.
Quote, originally posted by tiggo »

x2
and I think the pick up is like only half an inch of the bottom of the pan isn't it? then you have no space for that..
also

that's more of the the kind of answer i was looking for, thanks.
any super tech heads in here tonight to tell me how dumb i am so i just forget about this?

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
Re: shaved oil pan? (autobahmer)

whats your plan for the oil pickup? and it is possible to lift the motor a bit, just modify the mounts a bit.

·
Registered
53,304 Posts
Re: shaved oil pan? (sum1namedjames)

Quote, originally posted by sum1namedjames »
and it is possible to lift the motor a bit, just modify the mounts a bit.

This site is just full of badly considered ideas. How about having the car not look like it has five 300 pound linebackers inside? Then the ground clearance issue just goes away.

·
Registered
14,060 Posts
Re: (Emron)

Quote, originally posted by Emron »
You can lift the motor for extra ground clearance.

Totally true and is done all the time with MK3 kids http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Good old washers and longer bolts in the motor mount trick haha

·
Registered
14,060 Posts
Re: FV-QR (VRtotheSix)

Quote, originally posted by VRtotheSix »

Then You run into the front end geometry being off. Aka Axles and dogbones and most likely have to notch the frame?

Are you really trying to act concerned about "front end geometry" in the MK4 forums? In the land where control arms are measured by packs of cigarettes and alarm remotes on the ground?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
raising the motor would accually help the axles so they aren't at such a binding position anymore

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: (1.8tipgls)

crazy how obsessed getting "low" is to vortexers. I agree going low looks good, but at some point its ridiculous in my honest opinion. I would not raise the engine or shave my oil pan to get another 1/2 inch

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Joey Russo »

Are you really trying to act concerned about "front end geometry" in the MK4 forums? In the land where control arms are measured by packs of cigarettes and alarm remotes on the ground?

Sigged. Thx http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Re: (huntjump)

you could run a dry sump setup. very expensive but it would pretty much eliminate your oil pan all together.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Re: (huntjump)

Quote, originally posted by huntjump »
crazy how obsessed getting "low" is to vortexers. I agree going low looks good, but at some point its ridiculous in my honest opinion. I would not raise the engine or shave my oil pan to get another 1/2 inch

You can have your click back.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts