VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just the other day I took out my rear perches and was loving the new stance next on the list was wheels....
But that all changed when I was on my way home today on a crappy rainy night. I was coming up to a light to make a left and was slowing down from 60 km/h and the car completely stalls out.... I thought maybe its cause I just did my fuel filter but it turns out I blew my motor or ****ed it bad.... The car seems to try and crank once and sounds like something just spins. I'm at 148,000km and have not done my timing belt and water pump and I believe my timing belt tensioner was making bad noise for the last little while.... My guess is the belt came off i'll have to take a look at it in the morning.... So as of now that car is at my house if it turns out I need a new motor I think it's time I go back to the legendary VR possible 24v six speed swap.... Well lets just hope I get her back on the road ASAP!!!

the OG

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: She will be Missed :( (platinumgrey_1.8T)

sorry to hear....but chances are you just need to pull the head and replace some valves...VERY common problem with the 1.8t's.
Tensioner seizes, timing belt thinks its a jump-rope....and yer done.
I know Lhaki at ESS has done a bunch of these in the last year.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: She will be Missed :( (Crazy Hungarian)

haha funny thing is I just had my car in there for some work and was told that the timing belt tensioner is making a bad noise and any minute its going to go... I guess I just pushed it to far

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
sad to hear...don't worry i dont think shell be out of commission just yet.....i just took out the middle ring on my rear perches too....it makes huge difference in the stance
hope you have it on the road for the start of the season

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (PirelliGolf)

Quote, originally posted by PirelliGolf »
so instead of spending $750 for a timing belt service you'll now be spending triple that or more on another head, oops.
Why would you tempt fate?

actually it woulda been 300 from someone i know... but i just had no time to drop the car off... well anyway im gonna find a head and throw that in.. hopefully it will have low kms

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Re: (platinumgrey_1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by platinumgrey_1.8T »

actually it woulda been 300 from someone i know... but i just had no time to drop the car off... well anyway im gonna find a head and throw that in.. hopefully it will have low kms

Can you get me that hook up? I need to change my timing belt tensioner sometime soon. (it's a 2.0 though)

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Re: (platinumgrey_1.8T)

Regardless of cost, that shizz is dangerous, it could've been worse.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
FV-QR

not changing your timing belt at 100,000km is stupid.
pushing it another 45,000km? I'm at a complete loss for words.
best of luck to you in fixing her and hope you treat your car with a little more respect going forward. dubs deserve proper love (and maintenance).

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Re: She will be Missed :( (platinumgrey_1.8T)

haha funny thing is I just had my car in there for some work and was told that the timing belt tensioner is making a bad noise and any minute its going to go... I guess I just pushed it to far

Wow i would not have admitted that.....

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: She will be Missed :( (impulse byer)

Quote, originally posted by impulse byer »

Wow i would not have admitted that.....

i know lots of people who have gone way more then i have on there timing belt change... i was litterally gonna do it yesterday not like i dont have the funds the weather was just real ****ty out and i didnt have all the parts... so i thought i'll just get it in the week.... my other buddy with his 337 is at 159,000 and he is on original timing belt and water pump with chip and and some other mods..... another person is at 257,000 and original TB..... these motors timing belts go at any moment, I don't care that i have to get a new motor atleast it'll have lower kms and i can start fresh...
I take very good care of my car this is just something i should of really done sooner then later but lessoned learned

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.