VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock muffler is starting to rattle, so I'm in the market for a new exhaust. My mechanic quoted me $349.00 for a new stock exhaust.
I think that's a little expensive for a stock system. In the past I have always had Techtonics exhaust on my VW's, but in my 2.0, I have grown to appreciate the quietness of a stock system.
Anybody know where I can order a new stock system for cheaper?

I'm open to options of a QUIET performance exhaust sytem if it is cheaper than $349.00.

What is the quietest performance exhaust out there?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. A beer
on me!!
A pic for views.

Modified by LUV4DUBS at 1:38 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Re: Shhh!!! Keep it down, please..... (LUV4DUBS)

god i love totem's car...
anyway, I don't know. Everyone told me Magnaflow was a nice subtle rumble, but when I got it, it was anything but subtle.
anyway, good luck. $349 sounds about fair, since it IS an exhaust, and it IS new...but it's hard to pass up a nice open exhaust if it's like $50 more.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Re: Shhh!!! Keep it down, please..... (n0izepollution)

my friend just put a techtonics on his car and i like the way it sounds. i just put a magnaflow on mine, and i really like it alot. it's not too much, its just right.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Shhh!!! Keep it down, please..... (VWPhilly1892)

I would love to put on a Techtonics system, but:
1.) My MK1 GLi had the basic Techtonics system and it started off quiet, but got louder as time went on.
2.) My MK2 Jetta had the Techtonics system with the Borla straight through exhaust and that was a growling beast from the start.
This time I hope to get stock or something that's quiet at idle and a quiet growl when you get on it. Sort of stock BMWish. (excuse me on this one)

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I agree w/noizepollution, try to find a stock VR exhaust, but if it's gotta be replaced, you need to just spend the loot and go aftermarket for another 40-50 bucks....

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm running a Jetex Performance exhaust on my '94 2.0. The system is barely louder than stock, and, if memory serves me right it uses 2.5" tubing. I bought it from NewDimensions.com 3 years ago, still sounds good. I am pretty sure it's the most quiet performance system on the market

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (ChadMk3)

Thanks guys. I will look into some of these suggestions. Pics and posts will come after purchase and install.

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Re: (LUV4DUBS)

I have a Super Sprint Muffler with 2.25 mandrel bent piping and no suitcase. It sounds vera vera nice. It is obviously a little louder, but not much more. It also has the benefit of a larger exhaust with a increased throttle response. It is a little louder idle and really growls above 4 grand, but at cruising speed is is very quiet. Very easy to hold a conversation and there is absolutly no droning. I got it from [email protected] a couple of year ago. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Re: (LUV4DUBS)

some guys have the euro sport catback. I'm not sure if they make a system for 2.0's, however. Also, Remus mufflers are another alternative.
I personally recommend magnaflow http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Re: (reynolds9000)

eurosport is pretty loud.. tt and autotech are the same.. Supersprint seems ideal for you but is pretty pricey... How is your piping? Maybe you dont have to replace the whole shizzy

·
Banned
827 Posts
Re: (VRBTCHCAR)

i am COMPLETELY destracted by the dark demon. whats this thread about????

oh yeah get a stock exhaust. you seem to want OEM

Modified by Naked Joof at 6:04 AM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (jerzee_tek)

Given the choice between aftermarket and stock at the same price range, give or take $50.00, I'd gladly go with an aftermarket exhaust. I could use the benefits that an aftermarket exhaust will give me.
I'm just looking for a quiet aftermarket exhaust. It seems that it is hard for everyone to agree on which aftermarket exhaust is ACTUALLY quiet.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Re: (jerzee_tek)

the eurosport system is loud, but i like the way it sounds.
id go vr6 stock exhaust. there was a tread somewhere around here about that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts