VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a bunch of shift knob questions out there recently, and since I received mine in the mail today I thought I'd post up a tutorial. I usually don't do these things, so be patient with me.
Step 1. Removal of stock setup
Here's the stockie

To remove, shift into 1st or 3rd, then push down into the boot until you find the edge of the clips

Lift up gently to pop up the front clips

At this point, you can just lift the trim ring up over the knob.

*note the bronze clip at the base of the boot. If you have trouble removing the knob in the next couple steps, you may need to loosen/cut this clip off*
Next it's time to remove the whole assembly. I found that if you use your super human strength you can usually get it off with no problem.
Grasp firmly

Now pull!!!

Yay!!! You're half way there! Take a drink break and pat yourself on the back.

Step 2. Preparing the boot
With VWs, the shiftboots are usually attached to the knob. Depending on your aftermarket setup, you may need to find a boot solution. In my case, I actually ordered both a knob and the boot. I was fortunate enough to have a boot that was already semi-prepared for install. Your boot install may vary.
First step is to remove the trim ring off of the stock shiftknob/boot assembly. Turn the whole thing upside down, and you should be able to see 8 clips holding the boot to the ring.
Here are two of those clips.

Pop those 8 clips and the boot assembly should slide right out, leaving you with just the trim ring.

Here's my new boot. As you can see, it already has the plastic inner ring attached to the base of the boot. If you are installing a new boot that doesn't have this, you will need to remove the staples from the stock boot and reuse the stock inner ring.

Install the new boot to the stock trim ring. Pay very close attention to the clips and make sure they are firmly secured. If you notice, inbetween the clips is a tab that the inner ring must go outside. It took me a couple tries, but when they snap into place you'll know it.

And you have finished step two. Are you anxious to see the finished product yet?
Step 3. Wiring up the shift knob (If equipped)
Many aftermarket shiftknobs are coming with lights inside to give you an uber-pimp look. The knob I purchased is such a knob, and thus requires a power source to make it light up.
The knob- note the wires coming out the bottom.

I'm a big proponent of making things easy, so I went to the closest illumination source I could find- the 12V outlet in the "ashtray" just in front of the shifter.
To access this, you'll need to remove the two T-20 screws securing the ashtray.

Lift up and Viola! We have exposed wires!

After removing the molex plug from the bottom of the 12V port, I tested the wires and found my positive and negative. Mine were gray for +12V (positive) and brown for ground (negative). However, if you don't test yours and blow something up, I'm not responsible K? After testing, I tapped each one and secured connectors to the pigtails from my new shiftknob.

*Note- depending on your setup, you may have to thread your pigtails through your new shiftboot. I find this cumbersome, so I cut off a section from the supplied wire to tap power which I spliced back together later. While this is not a required step, I think it makes handling the new assembly much easier.*
After attaching my power, I tucked the wires back in and reattached the ashtray assembly with the T-20 fasteners. Make sure to run your power leads away from anything that could pinch or melt the wires. Almost home baby!
Step 4. Assembly
The next step is to put it all back together. Again, depending on your new set up you might not need all of the following steps.
Along with my new shiftboot, I received a retaining ring that goes under the boot on the shaft. This ring is usually secured using a set screw on the side. This is merely a ring to help prevent the new shift boot from sliding down and exposing the ugly factory shaft. Since my knob has some power leads, the retaining ring has a provision for the wires. I threaded the wires though and slid the ring onto the shaft and *loosely* secured using the appropriate allen key.

*If you look at the lower right portion of the pic, you can see my power pigtail coming from the ashtray assembly.*
Next step is to position the retaining ring properly. You may need the assistance of a buddy to help you, as having a third hand comes in handy here. Fit your boot assembly onto the shaft, then place your knob on the shaft to sandwich the boot to the retaining ring. I then pushed down on the knob while lifting the retaining ring as high as it would go. Once I got it into position, I secured the retaining ring set screw with an allen key.

Don't forget to connect your power leads and tuck in the wires!

Next, resecure the trim ring around the base of the shiftboot. I hooked the side closest to the ebrake, then just snapped in the top.

Last step, secure your new shift knob with the set screws on the side. Mine used the same allen key as the boot retaining ring. Every aftermarket shift knob I've had has had three of these screws. Make sure you don't over tighten one of them- try to do it as evenly as possible.

That's it. You're done!!! See, that wasn't so bad, was it?
Finished product:

And remember that uber-pimptastic feature I mentioned earlier...

Cheers! Hope this helps!

Modified by Fast Eddie GTI at 9:19 AM 1-4-2009

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Re: Shift knob DIY- Lots o' pics! (exS4)

ahh one of those Osir knobs. Looks very nice!
Great write up too!

Just need some better pictures with a better camera and w/o flash, because I'm sure the knob looks 10 times better in person than in those pictures. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Shift knob DIY- Lots o' pics! (exS4)

Quote, originally posted by exS4 »
I like the Boot!
not feelin' the knob though...
But good effort and thanx for the writeup!

I agree with this guy. Feelin the boot, but the knob looks kind of rice. My friend's Civic had something like it.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Re: Shift knob DIY- Lots o' pics! (5CYLPILL)

Nice write up! Now I know how to remove the front ashtray trim to install the Alu Euro one

·
Registered
653 Posts
Re: Shift knob DIY- Lots o' pics! (quailallstar)

Quote, originally posted by quailallstar »
Nice write up! Now I know how to remove the front ashtray trim to install the Alu Euro one

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm a fan of the Golf ball knob and the history behind it, but I respect what you did and that its your own thing. The knob does match the interior lighting which is nice, but it just doesn't seem quality of a Euro, more like, well....how can I put this nicely..RICE..but the boot is better then then knob, even though I still think that the stock boot and golf ball combo looks better. But hey it is a 170 bucks and thats pretty ridiculous also

1 - 20 of 59 Posts