VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the DSG shift knob retrofit is likely going to take some time, I figured might as well work on deleting the "DSG" engraving in the plate having managed to pry it off intact. I'm fairly certain the piece is all plastic.

The goal is to (i) completely delete the DSG engraving so that it it looks like it was never there whilst (ii) keeping the brushed aluminum finish and equally important (iii) having the finish strong enough to withstand daily usage since this will be the part of the knob most touched.
djm1968 had suggested in a prior thread using JB weld or some other epoxy putty other than Bondo. The former can be worked like clay while the latter tends to swell with moisture suggesting its bad for (iii) above.
I presume the process would be to sand the thing down to remove the existing finish. Applying the putty and sanding that down until you can't even tell there once existed an engraving. Then applying the paint finish.
What grade sand paper for which stage in the process? Possible to get the same brushed aluminum finish? Need clear coating? Where do I get all this stuff?
I've never done anything like this before so any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

· Banned
12,402 Posts
Re: Shift Knob "DSG" Engarving Delete Project (the.ronin)

I'd use JB Weld for the filler, personally. if you get the five minute stuff,
you'll be sanding and prepping for finish in no time.
and, duplicolor sells a paint that'll mimic that finish. it's not brushed
aluminum so much as a natural finish. i'd clearcoat it, too.
as for sandpaper, depending on how smooth your fill work would be,
you shouldn't need any grit lower than 320. anything heavier than
that would probably become disastrous. and even then, the 320 should
only be used to shape the filled area. then just hit the rest with 600.
you might want to use a plastic primer first, to see if you have any low/high
spots before applying your color coat and clear. if you really want bling,
wetsand the clear with 2500 grit, and polish with a wheel or use a paint
polish.

· Registered
280 Posts
Re: Shift Knob "DSG" Engarving Delete Project (N2N)

Hmmm I'll all for tasteful modding but imo the DSG is such a brilliant piece of technology I'd want to see that logo on the knob.

If it was plastered all over the exterior that's different but... whatever floats your boat!

· Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Shift Knob "DSG" Engarving Delete Project (BumbleBeeJBG)

Quote, originally posted by BumbleBeeJBG »
Geez bro, take some time to breath in between overly frustrating mods

This is the last frustrating mod on the list
I had some rare me-and-my-dub time these past few weeks hence the mad rush to mod.
N2N ... thanks so much for the great advice!! I presume I should sand off the existing finish so the paint has something to stick to? So sand, putty, sand putty so its completely smooth, plastic primer, many thin layers of paint, layers of clearcoat ... sound about right?
What are high/low spots?
Kojach, I completely agree ... however I am using the knob on a tiptronic. I don't want to misrepresent. Although it is small enough so I'm still considering just keeping it on there.

· Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Shift Knob "DSG" Engarving Delete Project (DSGTIMKV)

Quote, originally posted by DSGTIMKV »
Sounds like a worthwhile project...

Reads like a worthwhile post...

News flash, you're on an enthusiast website, jackass. Shed the hipper than thou attitude and you might actually learn something, *****.

· Banned
12,402 Posts

Quote, originally posted by the.ronin »

This is the last frustrating mod on the list
I had some rare me-and-my-dub time these past few weeks hence the mad rush to mod.
N2N ... thanks so much for the great advice!! I presume I should sand off the existing finish so the paint has something to stick to? So sand, putty, sand putty so its completely smooth, plastic primer, many thin layers of paint, layers of clearcoat ... sound about right?
What are high/low spots?
Kojach, I completely agree ... however I am using the knob on a tiptronic. I don't want to misrepresent. Although it is small enough so I'm still considering just keeping it on there.

you can pretty much just scuff the rest of the finish to give the primer
something to adhere to. same thing with the indentations for the
letters, really. jb weld will bond to anything, lol.
and for your painting, the surface doesn't need to be completely smooth.
again it just needs to be even for the primer to stick best.
and you'll probably only need 1-2 coats of color and clear.

· Registered
692 Posts

Another tack might be to mill away the DSG until you have a simple rectangular pocket. Just a thought. Or, mill a groove across the entire trim piece where the letters are; then paint this groove a satin or gloss black? Or, fill it in and paint the filled area a gloss black, or contrasting/complimentary color (red, blue, etc.)? Or cut a piece of wood insert?
Otherwise, if you're going to go the fill-in/paint route, I'd also recommend some of the new "chrome capped" spray paints - I bought a can awhile back (don't recall the brand) to paint something silver - rather than pick a silver, I chose the chrome (you know that chrome spray is never chrome, right?

).
Anyway, the point was... uh, what was my point? Oh yeah, I was really impressed by how the metal flakes were so microscopic, the finish turned out looking like satin finished aluminum!
For about $5 - $8 a can, you'd be best served buying a few different kinds of auminum and chrome spray paint, practice spray a plastic lawnchair or something, and see what you get before you hit your nice trim piece.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by CADtech at 12:00 PM 11-24-2006

· Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great advice guys ... ideally I would love to somehow replace the DSG with the .:R logo but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I'll just be happy with a clean plate.
I'm going to search for as close as possible to a brushed aluminum paint. Thanks again for the advice.

· Registered
2,298 Posts

j b weld ftw...
that **** is so strong.. this dude i know jb welded his cylinder head on his dirt bike.. and the cylinder had a hole .. im taking size of my finger .. jb weld and he was off.. it was insane.. i use jb weld for all my sticky needs now

· Registered
192 Posts
Re: Shift Knob "DSG" Engarving Delete Project (dog_poopie)

you could mimic a brushed aluminum look if you take some kind of metallic silver paint (there is some paint that looks like a natural aluminum look... anyways go over it in different directions with a mid grit sand paper to give it the swirly look. I have seen it done on fiberglass interior with a lot of work... probably will just take you a couple of tries to get perfect.

· Banned
18,822 Posts

The question is, do you want it to look brushed when you are done with it?
If the answer is no, then it will be an easier project.
Filling in the DSG is easy. Bondo would be your best bet. Sanding it until you get it smooth with no bumps will take a while. But once that is done, you can paint it.
You know what color I would paint it.

· Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Shift Knob "DSG" Engarving Delete Project (user name unknown)

Quote, originally posted by user name unknown »
The question is, do you want it to look brushed when you are done with it?

Yes, I would prefer it perfectly matches the brushed aluminum finish of the rest of the painted plastic parts of the shift knob. That amazes me there is no specific paint for this ... but then I don't know much about paint.
Quote, originally posted by user name unknown »
You know what color I would paint it.

Yes, but fuschia is just not my thing. j/k

· Banned
18,822 Posts

Quote, originally posted by the.ronin »
That amazes me there is no specific paint for this ... but then I don't know much about paint.

WAIT ONE SECOND!!!!
I totally forgot what his user name is (case of the Mondays) but he painted his front shield and his mirror housings the interior trim color!
I WISH I COULD REMEMBER HIS USER NAME RIGHT NOW!!!! ARGHHH!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.