VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GTI, stock, Moonstone
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my shifter knob started rotating side to side a little (half a degree), thinking it had come loose I went to rotate a little more to tighten it, this made it worse, now was rotating 2-3 degrees. Becoming concerned I tried pushing it down to try and lock it into place, didn't work, so I tried pulling up on it a little, it pulled right off along with the boot. After looking a bit closer, I realize now that it actually completely cracked off, it was a molded piece of plastic that was for some reason hold in place by an ear clamp (Oetiker style). These are not made for holding on plastic, because it CRACKS! Also noticed the rubber boot below to the transmission (really flimsy crappy rubber) and the side of the shifter was also cracked. I don't know how to replace this type of shifter, would have thought it was on a threaded rod. Really bad design, not used to VW making this type of poor quality. Luckily it still wedges in place and is useable until they can get a replacement in. Lesson here, be gentle with your shifter and if you want to change it, pull the boot up and take the clamp off.

Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
My shifter came off just after shifting into 2nd in the middle of an intersection last week. Like yours, I was able to push it back on the post.

Didn't look that closely to see if it was the same failure mode, but mine is still at the dealer awaiting the parts. Should (hopefully) be fixed this week.

·
Registered
2018 GTI SE 3 Pedals
1,093 Posts
Why not just buy a better knob? You don't even have to figure out how to get that stupid circlamp off now (oops, still there but at least you have easy access to it now). I have a SportShifter on my Mk7.5 and will likely order a new one for the R. BFI also works well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like my dealership might not cover it, because it was cracked, could be held responsible. Can anyone recommend a a good shifter that will fit the VIII? Looks to be the same on the VII, but cannot confirm.

·
Registered
2018 GTI SE 3 Pedals
1,093 Posts
Sounds like my dealership might not cover it, because it was cracked, could be held responsible. Can anyone recommend a a good shifter that will fit the VIII? Looks to be the same on the VII, but cannot confirm.
I've talked to SportShifters about this, they said the shaft is a little thinner than the Mk7, but that their adaptor still works on both. Same should be true for BFI too. I prefer SportShifters just because the base is wider than the BFI, and you can choose your weight. They do take a little while to get though, but URO Tuning had some premade, they may still have a few.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've talked to SportShifters about this, they said the shaft is a little thinner than the Mk7, but that their adaptor still works on both. Same should be true for BFI too. I prefer SportShifters just because the base is wider than the BFI, and you can choose your weight. They do take a little while to get though, but URO Tuning had some premade, they may still have a few.
Do you know if I'd need to buy a new boot or could transplant the old?

·
Registered
2018 GTI SE 3 Pedals
1,093 Posts
Do you know if I'd need to buy a new boot or could transplant the old?
Oh, you're fine with the old one, the lower mount will hold it perfectly, unlike nearly every other choice. Just shop the knobs too, should be $160ish, not the whole assembly, those were for the Mk6 and Mk7, I don't think they'll fit the Mk8. These guys, I have a mid weight GT1, it got held up in customs at the start of Covid for something silly like two months, but it's been perfect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, you're fine with the old one, the lower mount will hold it perfectly, unlike nearly every other choice. Just shop the knobs too, should be $160ish, not the whole assembly, those were for the Mk6 and Mk7, I don't think they'll fit the Mk8. These guys, I have a mid weight GT1, it got held up in customs at the start of Covid for something silly like two months, but it's been perfect.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2018 GTI SE 3 Pedals
1,093 Posts
Of course. I'd offer to sell you my current one, but I think customs would make it a pain, one of my buddy's just went up there for a few weeks, if I'd known I'd have had him ship it from there. It's a GT1 with the red R and red stitching, it's just going to look odd in my R and I figure I'll try black aluminum bits this time around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I noticed my shifter knob started rotating side to side a little (half a degree), thinking it had come loose I went to rotate a little more to tighten it, this made it worse, now was rotating 2-3 degrees. Becoming concerned I tried pushing it down to try and lock it into place, didn't work, so I tried pulling up on it a little, it pulled right off along with the boot. After looking a bit closer, I realize now that it actually completely cracked off, it was a molded piece of plastic that was for some reason hold in place by an ear clamp (Oetiker style). These are not made for holding on plastic, because it CRACKS! Also noticed the rubber boot below to the transmission (really flimsy crappy rubber) and the side of the shifter was also cracked. I don't know how to replace this type of shifter, would have thought it was on a threaded rod. Really bad design, not used to VW making this type of poor quality. Luckily it still wedges in place and is useable until they can get a replacement in. Lesson here, be gentle with your shifter and if you want to change it, pull the boot up and take the clamp off.

Anyone else have this issue?
Same exact thing happened to me. I took it to dealer and they said it’s covered we ordered the part. We will let you know once it’s here.
that was 2months ago. I knew it was going to happen like that and purchased my sports shifter gear knob. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2022 GTI-S stick
132 Posts
just noticed a little crack on the bottom of my shifter. Same place as the op but only 1/4 - 1/2 inch big. I’m questing it will get worse uggh

Quess I’ll be looking at shifters. What’s the weight on the stock one ? I have no idea what to get and I’m quessing I should go for a Medium weight ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
just noticed a little crack on the bottom of my shifter. Same place as the op but only 1/4 - 1/2 inch big. I’m questing it will get worse uggh

Quess I’ll be looking at shifters. What’s the weight on the stock one ? I have no idea what to get and I’m quessing I should go for a Medium weight ?
Go heavy you will love it.
Here is the link and picture of mine
Shift knob
Gear shift Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
2022 GTI-S stick
132 Posts
Go heavy you will love it.
Here is the link and picture of mine
Shift knob
Mine broke off doing a quick pull up an off ramp. I bit the bullet and grabbed a bfi heavy weight and a stitch boots Black alcantara boot. Eagerly awaiting the arrival!
‘So I just emailed a manufacturer that makes knobs about weight thinking I might as well go medium weight (200-300 grams ) as I’ve never experimented with this before and they’re response was:

‘Of course you can make changes as you go, medium is the weight I'd recommend for your MK8 as it will make shifting noticeably smoother without slowing the process down too much on a spirited drive, heavier will.’

So do you guys find the heavy weight slowing down shifts ?
‘Also, anybody know the stock weight ? Maybe a medium is still a little bit heavier than the stock ?

Ultimately I quess the real answer is to buy and try :)

·
Registered
2018 GTI SE 3 Pedals
1,093 Posts
How would you say the weighted knob feels vs stock. What’s the major difference?
Well, there's a lot going on. It's metal and leather vs plastic, and the height is adjustable. I run mine near the bottom of the range, which is about 1.5 inches lower then the stock knob, so keep in mind that the added weight is slightly offset by the lower position. It's also nice that the transmission is four feet from the shift knob as it never really gets hot, even in 110 degree heat, in the sun. That's very different than previous rwd cars that have had the shift lever coming directly out of the transmission and will absolutely cook the knob, even a titanium one I had.

I also have a panoply of other changes from stock that I'm currently taking off to return to stock. I have the Diesel Geek Superpin that goes in the interior shifter box and really tightens up the side to side slop in the actual shifter box. I also have the Audi short shifter and brass bushings in place of the stock rubber shifter bushings. And I've got a clutch stop, removed the stock CDV and have the 034 upper and lower inserts in the dogbone mount. I did most of these changes all at once, so it's hard to say just how much the knob alone made a difference. But it's lower, it's much nicer to touch and to my eyes, it looks much better than stock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So further to this, my dealer advised that this would not be covered but they will cover it under a goodwill account. Complete BS if you ask me. Found this....check at 29:35

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 33 Posts