VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently replaced all the bushing to my shift linkage with teflon and UHMV (i think it was) bushings. replaced the big orange bushing (if you've tinkered around down there, you know the one). replaced the forward and rear selector rods and since then the shifter was working like a champ! so crisp, just awesome! i was showing it off to everyone because these bushings made such a drastic improvement making my shifter that had almost 2 inches of play when engaged in gear down to practically nothing at all! but today, all of a sudden, it started shifting really hard, stiff, and the play in my shifter is back. it looks as if the orange bushing isn't holding it in place, i can freely move that back and forth without disengaging the gear, but the bushing looks fine, it's only been a few weeks, so i'm not sure what's going on. any suggestions?
thanks
edit: i guess i could just replace the bushing, again, and see if that remedies it, but i wouldn't want to have to replace the bushing every couple of weeks to keep my shifter in place.
as for the rough shifting, i thought maybe a tranny fluid change would help that.

Modified by pbundy at 11:25 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Maybe the bushing was not seated properly and it popped out after few weeks of use. If there's nothing wrong with the bushing (i.e. cracked or torn) , there's no need to replace it. Just try pressing it back in really good.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: (EUEL)

check to make sure all the nuts holding everything together on the shift linkage are tight. they always come loose on mine. bummer.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (EUEL)

when i replaced the bushing i took the whole bracket off, cleaned it up and put the new bushing in. if you've replaced it you know it's such a squeeze to get it in there . . .
i can put my hand down in there and slide the shift linkage back and forth through that bushing . . . which when i move it one way, check the shifter, and back, i see it extending through my "play" area.
so then, the bushing itself should allow for the shift linkage to move through it, that's kind of it's purpose . . . so what keeps the linkage from only moving where it's supposed to?
hopefully tomorrow or the next day i'll get underneath it, check all the bolts and try to get a better look at what's going on underneath there, but figured i'd rather go in with some idea of something to look for, so i posed the question here.
thanks guys

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Re: (pbundy)

There are two orange bushings.
One is on the shift box, the other is at the base of the firewall. The one in the engine bay is on a bracket attatched to the subframe/steering rack.
Both will cause shifter play.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts

The one on the steering rack (relay shaft bracket) is actually easier to change. The only pain is to drill out the rivets that hold the bushing in. If you take out the whole thing it's cake.
There are good instructions and pics in the Bentley.
Basically, disconnect the clamp on the main shift rod.
Disconnect the relay shaft(the one with the ball).
Remove the three 13mm bolts that secure the bracket to the rack.
Remove the bracket from the main shift rod.
Drill out the rivets.
Replace the orange bushing. Stuff some grease in the bushing.
Rivet or get nuts and bolts to secure the plate that holds the bushing.
Installation is reverse of removal...

Don't forget to align the shifter with the alignment tool.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Re: (Big Fundamental)

Quote, originally posted by Big Fundamental »

Drill out the rivets.

You dont need to do this, you can slide the bushing on without doing it. Just make sure you put some grease in there. If you need help hit me up i am in oregon too.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Rlyeezz2)

grease the inside or the outside . . . i didn't grease either, could that by why my "play" is back?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

how much grease do you put in? i'm thinking, since you've said to do this, and i didn't, that i would (providing i can find my dang shift gate alignment tool!) and just cross my fingers like mad that it'll remedie my rough shifter. so just needing to find out how much i should apply

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Rlyeezz2)

thank man. i got it taken out, greased, the bolt on the top of my short shift kit (closest to the firewall) was loose, so i made sure everything was super tight. put on a new bushing, just to make sure, and no play again. i'm not sure what was any different, besides the grease, but yes, i'm not complaining. i need to adjust some of my adjustible shift rods, but once those are all in order, it should be perfect.
thanks for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts