VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car has the sloppiest shifter I've ever felt

I searched and saw people talking about shifter rebuild kit and it seems like it can't be too hard and is fairly cheap.

I'd just like to know if anyones done it before and what I should be looking at as far as time goes and how much of a pain it was.

· Registered
3,037 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
im drove my friends neon rt and it made me jealous. it was completely stock and the throw on it was crazy short and it was smooth as hell! im am goin to get the usrt kit and probobly the short shifter. its amazing how sloppy the mk3 shifter is compared to other cars.

· Registered
13,748 Posts
Go to techtonics.com.

I suggest buying a shift linkage bushing kit which including the shift linkage alignment tool that you will need after replacing all of the bushings. They also have a kit that includes a short shifter parts set if that's what your into.

· Registered
896 Posts
Anyone know where to find the cube relay shaft bushing shown in this link? Driving me nuts trying to get one.:banghead:
The missinglinkZ one says it will take 5 weeks.
NGP Racing has two different types; a nylon ball or an aluminum ball.
http://www.ngpracing.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=5257

shown below is the Aluminum ball relay lever:

Every mk2 / mk3 owner knows that the rubber/plastic ball falls apart on the shifters creating a very sloppy shifter feel. Nothing Leaves Stock has devised 2 new designs with 2 completely different but effective material to choose from for LONG LONG lasting, if not endless life of the shifter.

* Option ONE: Made out of 6061 aluminum with oilite pressed in bearings with a HD "C" clip.

* Option TWO: Made with a black oil impregnated nylon that is equal in durability to the aluminum model.

No modifications needed for install

· Registered
1,891 Posts
thread revival..
i'm looking into buying the shifter rebuilt kit from GAP off of my friend.

its this one: Shifter rebuild kit. Includes shift lever pivot assembly, shift linkage bushings, selector rods, relay shaft, and neoprene washers.

are these DIY's for this as well & how hard would this be to do, thanks

· Banned
5,831 Posts
are these DIY's for this as well & how hard would this be to do, thanks
yes there is a complete DIY on this site... I forget the username,... but I'm not talking about the DJR link. he only did the relay ball and short shift.

is it difficult? somewhat yes... it depends how much you replace. The full rebuild involves dropping the cat to remove the shift box.

· Registered
13,748 Posts
$50 is not a great deal, and you will need a shift linkage alignment tool to get the shift linkage setup correctly when you're done replacing the parts.

You could order everything from autohausaz.com for about $40, plus shipping (they don't sell the shift linkage alignment tool), or spend $50 or more and get free ground shipping.

If I were you, I'd order everything from techtonicstuning.com, if you need the shift linkage alignment tool.

Parts from techtonics often cost a little more money than from other suppliers, but you only get the best quality replacement (many/most are VW OEM), and there aren't any no-name Chinese made junk parts. Techtonic makes performance cams, exhausts, and chips. And, Techtonics has a lots of VW specialty tools for sale that are very hard or impossible to find elsewhere. Like the tool with the large hex used for removing the timing plug and the gear selector cover, the tool for adjusting 5th gear, a tool to prime your oil pump after rebuilding the engine or replacing the oil pump, the shift linkage alignment tool, and others...

They have an online catalog, a free print catalog, a toll-free phone number, great quality parts, and knowledgable phone service people.

· Registered
699 Posts
I purchased the TT kit including the short shifter. Entire kit was great besides the relay ball that melted in a week. I was very disappointed. I talked to Nothing Leaves Stock and purchased the black nylon relay ball set up. AMAZING! :thumbup: Not a single issue at all. May be looking into the USRT kit this summer.

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh...btw....I only ended up replacing the neoprene "bushings", the relay ball/shaft, and a few other little thinsg because I was pressed for time, but it make a huge difference. I think I'm going to start looking for the square/cube relay ball soon to get rid of the little slack that is left.

but yeah, this threads all yours, guys.

hope you guys find out what you need to know and all that

:beer:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.