VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
27,608 Posts
Re: Shipping large items (blackslc)

I've used FedEx Freight (used to be Roadway, I think) for shipping full convertible top frames in the past. Not too expensive and they don't require you to fill the truck or anything.

· Registered
31,336 Posts

I shipped full size bicycle with FedEx for $40, and that was including insurance for $2000. I believe the full weight of everything was approximately 38lbs. It took 5 days to get there, and the buyer was happy. The box was huge, as you can imagine, but I feel the cost was very reasonable as I shopped around for the best shipping price. I'm not familiar with greyhound though, so I suggest looking into that prior to deciding.
just for fun, here's the bike:

Kudos to anyone who can tell me where that picture was taken...

· Registered
6,272 Posts

Don't know if the CL has mentioned this before, but Amtrak can also be fairly cheap, and quick, depending on location. Amtrak's biggest drawback is that you and the recipient have to be near fairly large stations that carry a "shipping depot" designation.

· Registered
11,614 Posts
Re: Shipping large items (T0oDamnFast)

Quote, originally posted by T0oDamnFast »
I shipped full size bicycle with FedEx for $40, and that was including insurance for $2000. I believe the full weight of everything was approximately 38lbs. It took 5 days to get there, and the buyer was happy. The box was huge, as you can imagine, but I feel the cost was very reasonable as I shopped around for the best shipping price. I'm not familiar with greyhound though, so I suggest looking into that prior to deciding.
just for fun, here's the bike:

Kudos to anyone who can tell me where that picture was taken...

don't have a clue where, but that is a beautiful klein...

· Registered
1,535 Posts

Greyhound shipping suffers from the same problem as Amtrak-- you have to go to the station to pick up the item. Works great for seats, hoods, etc. Might not work so well for a 200lb engine in a crate.

· Premium Member
08 TSX 6MT, 12 XC70 T6
47,881 Posts
Re: Shipping large items (Kyle C)

Quote, originally posted by Kyle C »
Might not work so well for a 200lb engine in a crate.

200lb engine in a crate?
maybe for a 13B with no accessories.
I just saw a Porsche Boxster engine dropped off. shipping weight was about 500lbs. The sled it was on weighed a solid 80.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Re: Shipping large items (Chapel)

Whenever I ship engines, I get a big hassle. You have to sign off on all fluids being emptied and lots of paperwork.
I typically ship through a trucking broker, he finds the best deal and gets a better deal than I would have due to quantity or whatnot.
GL http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,460 Posts
Re: Shipping large items (Chapel)

Quote, originally posted by Chapel »
200lb engine in a crate?
maybe for a 13B with no accessories.
I just saw a Porsche Boxster engine dropped off. shipping weight was about 500lbs. The sled it was on weighed a solid 80.

A buddy and myself moved a '70s 350, complete from oil pan to air filter, out of the back of a truck with logs and a breaker bar. It was interesting. I bought an engine hoist the next weekend.

· Banned
7,448 Posts
Re: Shipping large items (serrano)

Greyhound sucks from my personal experience.
I ordered an OEM pre-painted bumper that was shipped through Greyhound, and it arrived to me in the back of a pickup truck completely removed from it's large OEM box with no protection around it whatsoever all scratched up.
Mind you, this was a day after thay had called at about 10:00 AM to tell me that it was ready and waiting for me at the depot, but when I arrived at 5:00 PM that evening, it had been given away to someone else.
Oh, and they called me to pick it actually 2 weeks after they had receieved it.

So, not only did they deliver it 2+ weeks late, but they first removed it from it's packaging, then they gave it to the wrong person, then they delivered it to me damaged, and now they have denied my insurance claim on it.
I have a lawyer on standby!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.