VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience shipping their car on a car carrier? I am moving to CA, and plan to ship my gti on a carrier, but am concerned with the 1.5" drop and 20th kit i have on there...
any experience, advice... jokes welcome..

crappy side shot (used for parking ticket dispute)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Shipping lowered car on a car carrier (bluebora20v)

ill be staying with friends in LA while im looking for work there and in San Diego... lookin forward to the other side...

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
Re: (dubVR6jetta01)

Quote, originally posted by dubVR6jetta01 »
drive across, nothin like a good roadtrip

...with the current cost of gas?
i suggest you look into getting a reputable shipper. pick up a copy of the dupont registry and call around to the shippers in there, they specialize in shipping expensive high performance cars (read: no ground clearance vehicles). also, if people trust them to ship their ferrari, then you should be able to trust them to ship your vw.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

ehh.. ive been going back and forth forever... too much driving... too much wear on the car. its gunna cost me 700 gas and hotels (not counting beer kfc, uppers and downers... which arguably both of those are) versus 1100 total shipping and flight. and the car has 3000 less miles on it..

Modified by cky3k at 5:26 PM 5-4-2006

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (bigmak)

Quote, originally posted by bigmak »

...with the current cost of gas?
i suggest you look into getting a reputable shipper. pick up a copy of the dupont registry and call around to the shippers in there, they specialize in shipping expensive high performance cars (read: no ground clearance vehicles). also, if people trust them to ship their ferrari, then you should be able to trust them to ship your vw.

ahh good point. im going to do that right now.
what do you guys know of ground clearance issues on car carriers compared to flatbed trucks? i gotta think the problem of clearance isnt as bad with a car carrier..

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Re: (cky3k)

Flatbed trucks are fine as long as they have a 2X_" board to go at the bottom of the ramp (gives extra clearance). When my lowered 03 GLI was hit, the tow truck driver was nice enough to humor me and do that (it was totalled, i was just in shock
)....it would've been close if it had an 04.5+ GLI lip.

·
Registered
566 Posts
if its cheaper to drive, i would personally do it, and gas is cheaper down south, im not sure about out west, but if your car has 3000 miles, i wuoldnt worry about wear on it

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

I would drive it. 3K highway miles won't hurt your car. If you've got someone to ride along, you'll have a good time.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

its not cheaper to drive. my car has 40k miles on it. the trip is 3000 miles. wear tear and gas is figured at about 48 cents per gallon these days, thats 1500 bucks.
at the end of the day my option is to save 400 dollars and the car takes a hit for 3000 miles.
not to mention 300 rock trips and 5 days of labor. im just not into it and its not worth it...
im just lookin for shipping advice..

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Re: (Johnl24vvr6)

any bonded carrier will be more than able to cope with any special needs you may have. you may even consider asking them about specific of your car's requirements (or they may ask) when you call around for the best deal.
good luck on the move!

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
Re: (LSinLV)

like i said, go look at dupont registry. they ship ferraris, lambos, racecars, and more--your ground clearance should be a non issue.

·
Registered
913 Posts

oh dude come on - 48 cent /gallon is f******* cheap - we pay 1,42 euro / L

you just don't know how expensive gas can be---sorry but i just had to mention this.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Re: (oliverds)

Quote, originally posted by oliverds »

you just don't know how expensive gas can be---sorry but i just had to mention this.

I'm sure that was a typo...he must have been referring to the cost per mile to operate his vehicle (maintenance/wear and tear and gas).

·
Banned
11,609 Posts

aactually gas is upwards of 3 dollars a gallon. The car takes .48 cents a gallon in wear and tear parts

·
Registered
27,085 Posts

congratulations on not reading. that's 48 cents of WEAR AND TEAR per mile.
gas is around 3 bucks a gallon.
edit: slow cuz i found the price of gas per liter in euros (0.62768585)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Re: (silveratljetta)

Quote, originally posted by silveratljetta »

aactually gas is upwards of 3 dollars a gallon. The car takes .48 cents a gallon in wear and tear parts

Beat you to it

·
Registered
913 Posts

ok sorry, my fault. i did not read carefully enough.
but hey, the price bigmak posted is still soooooo cheap compared to our price ( nearly 75% of the price go to the state here in germany
)

Modified by oliverds at 12:32 AM 5-5-2006

1 - 20 of 36 Posts