VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My mechanic just told me that my front shocks and lower ball joints are shot. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy to replace and where to buy?
He said it'd cost ~$1000 if he were to buy/install the parts. He uses JYB? shocks and OEM ball joints.

Thanks, in advance

SK

·
Registered
476 Posts
WAY too much...
parts4vws.com
MKIV Left Ball Joint - 1J0407365C - $35.00
MKIV Right Ball Joint - 1J0407366C - $35.00
shox.com
KYB GR-2 Shocks (all 4 corners) - $267
You should be looking at no more tan $500 all told.

·
Registered
476 Posts
More info on what? I gave you part numbers and prices. Maybe restate your question in a different format.
Ball joints are ball joints...
Shocks are a personal preference. Popular brands are:
Koni (Yellow adjustable, red, FSD, OEM)
Bilstein (Sport, TD)
KYB (AGX, GR-2)
Sachs Boge (OEM)

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
FYI, Koni, H&R and Billstein = the sheez, KYB is like the ghetto option.
You should theoretically be able to get koni yellows for about $300($450 for the whole car), the ball joints should of course be cheap (I know you can get the whole tie-rod assembly for cheap on ecstuning.com)
Install should be between 2 hours and 3 hours.

And like a previous poster said, if you are ever planning on dropping it, do it now. You should be able to do the whole thing, including quality drop springs for under the $1000 you were quoted.
Also, don't trust that mechanic, those prices are wayyyyy high.

Modified by dremhmrk2 at 5:06 PM 6-20-2006

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Re: (reiser)

Quote, originally posted by reiser »
WAY too much...
parts4vws.com
MKIV Left Ball Joint - 1J0407365C - $35.00
MKIV Right Ball Joint - 1J0407366C - $35.00
shox.com
KYB GR-2 Shocks (all 4 corners) - $267
You should be looking at no more tan $500 all told.

SOUND RIGHT
replacing the shocks usually cost around $250

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: Shocks and lower ball joints (4father)

Quote, originally posted by 4father »
i'm just looking for opinions on brands and what the best replacement parts are for my wolfsburg.
Thanks

OEM ball joints are fine.
If you're looking to do suspension later (lowering springs shocks or coilovers) do it now.
If you're looking to replace what you have and keep the same ride height, I'd recommend Bilstein, Koni Yellows or Koni FSD.

·
Registered
23,329 Posts
Re: (dremhmrk2)

Quote, originally posted by dremhmrk2 »
FYI, Koni, H&R and Billstein = the sheez, KYB is like the ghetto option.

WHAT? LOL!!!!

KYB are really freakin good shocks for their money. Just because they are mostly used on JDM cars doesnt mean they are cheap or bad, however the KYB are really good shocks for stock replacement, not for lowering the car since they are for OEM applications.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Re: (Pifiu)

so what would you recommend for a budget install shock-wise (i read the FAQ already). i'm lowering, maybe ~2" all the way around, wanting to stay in the $400 range for all four shocks. i was looking at the Koni FSD kit, but that's about $200 more than i want to spend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.