VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GLI
21,139 Posts
Stupid narrow? And.... not in my size. Dur. Such amazing male car enthusiasts. They could cover 90% of women just by running down to men's 5.5. But too much to ask as usual.

Even Piloti, which does make a women's shoe, only makes in D width. Why spend that kind of money when I can get the same thing from GForce or Pyrotect for half the price, and those two are at least SFI rated.
Seriously.. try the Allbirds for track days(not race days). They have been awesome.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
tuning in here. I need a good pair of driving shoes but I'm ultra picky and destroy my shoes every 6 months since I walk a lot.

·
Premium Member
18,756 Posts
For just regular driving around, Geox loafers end up being my choice. They actually fit, are small enough that I don't hit all the pedals all at once, and they look nice. Plus, I have like ten pair of them in various states of tatter.

But when I think "driving shoe" I think track, and we have a saying in Detroit - if you have safety gear and don't wear it, your car is going to catch on fire. (Several friends proved this out last year and were quite penitant). I would like some shoes that are SFI/FAI rated that are not just a crappy pair of fugly GForce booties.

·
Registered
363 Posts
nothing beats driving barefoot lol
I like Vibram Fivefingers.

Yes. They are comfortable.
Yes. I don't have an odd foot feature that makes shoe shopping a chore. Unless you count a raised Talus.
No. It's not weird to have material between your toes. I thought it would be too.
Yes. There are toes in my socks. (This one always has me scratching my head).
No. It doesn't need extra arch support. I used to care about that too. It lets your foot support itself.
Yes. I do a lot of walking and hiking and find them very comfortable.
No. There's not any padding beyond lining. It's a true zero drop. Padded soles make your feet work harder.
Yes. It's normal for people to ask me about my shoes. You're probably the 3rd person to ask me today.

The oddest thing was retraining myself to use my big toe for driving. I have less actuation in my other toes. They tend to move and grab together. So hitting the clutch with my middle toes had my pinky and big toe grabbing the side of the clutch. The nice thing is rather than just pivoting my ankle or stomping, I have a bit more fine adjustment with the toe separate from the heel.

·
Registered
18,043 Posts
View attachment 81151
I have been using a version of these for some time.
They come in a variety of colors.
I've always liked these, but find they don't hold up well. I also have had sets of piloti's i really like - they are worth the spend if they fit you well. i also have a pair of Johnston and Murphy driving mocs that i really like too.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Do driving shoes make that big of a difference? I've had no issues heel toeing in Vans skate shoes, my frame of reference is E46s, mk1 TT, and old subarus.
Vans Sk8 high tops are my track day shoes and casual Friday shoes. I wore my canvas Sperry boat shoes today and was enjoying "Heel toe" (actually inner foot/outer foot) rev matching the downshifts in my Corvette through the pliable soles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
pilotis are great and I own a pair too, but my absolute favorites are the PLAE:

super thin, comfy and lightweight. I’m a size 14 too and have issues with wide/thick shoes and driving. No issues with them and pre pandemic my go to travel kicks.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
That was me. Definitely nice shoes, but yeah, stupid narrow.

I have a coupe pairs of Pumas. They're fine, but also a bit narrow, for me, but better than the Akins. They are more comfortable now that they're broken in some.

I'd love a pair of Pilotis, but can't justify the cost to myself.
I used to wear through about 3 or 4 pairs of Vans a year. I bought Pilotis and they are still in great shape over a year later. They paid for themselves. Plus they are made in Portugal and not a Chinese sweatshop.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
I like Vibram Fivefingers.

Yes. They are comfortable.
Yes. I don't have an odd foot feature that makes shoe shopping a chore. Unless you count a raised Talus.
No. It's not weird to have material between your toes. I thought it would be too.
Yes. There are toes in my socks. (This one always has me scratching my head).
No. It doesn't need extra arch support. I used to care about that too. It lets your foot support itself.
Yes. I do a lot of walking and hiking and find them very comfortable.
No. There's not any padding beyond lining. It's a true zero drop. Padded soles make your feet work harder.
Yes. It's normal for people to ask me about my shoes. You're probably the 3rd person to ask me today.

The oddest thing was retraining myself to use my big toe for driving. I have less actuation in my other toes. They tend to move and grab together. So hitting the clutch with my middle toes had my pinky and big toe grabbing the side of the clutch. The nice thing is rather than just pivoting my ankle or stomping, I have a bit more fine adjustment with the toe separate from the heel.
I used to AutoX in Five Fingers since they were technically "closed toed shoes" for the rules but allowed me to have the feeling of driving barefoot. I still run and lift weights in them (because they are the only thing I can run in without pain), but they do look rather goofy (lots of looks/comments).

·
Registered
19 Miata GT-S
1,623 Posts
Not just for driving.. but geezus these things are sooooo comfortable. Great driving shoes as well. Use them for track days.

Men's Running Shoes - Tree Dashers & Wool Dasher Mizzles | Allbirds
I love my Allbirds for most stuff, but for driving I find that the pointy heel makes it a bit awkward. I've got a pair of Merrel trail gloves, which is a minimalist/"barefoot" style hiking shoe that has a great rolled heel for driving. I have an older version, but it's similar to to these currently on sale: Merrell Trail Glove for Men

·
Premium Member
6,306 Posts
Stupid narrow? And.... not in my size. Dur. Such amazing male car enthusiasts. They could cover 90% of women just by running down to men's 5.5. But too much to ask as usual.
My feet are weird. I can wear regular width in shoes like casual Sketchers, but my running shows are wide (which are a size-and-a-half bigger than non running shoes). I have a ton of foot/toe splay from all the running so narrow shoes just don't work for me.

I love my Allbirds for most stuff, but for driving I find that the pointy heel makes it a bit awkward. I've got a pair of Merrel trail gloves, which is a minimalist/"barefoot" style hiking shoe that has a great rolled heel for driving. I have an older version, but it's similar to to these currently on sale: Merrell Trail Glove for Men
I think I tried a pair of those Merrells....also too narrow.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
40,360 Posts
I’m quite fond of Vans, they allow me to accurately feel the amount of patented Subaru firewall flex as I push in the clutch and brake pedals. 11/10 would recommend

·
Registered
34,575 Posts
MAJOR GRIPES HERE. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

No one makes actual driving shoes in ladies sizes and I have smallish feet. I have these beater old G-Force booties that I wear, when I would prefer to get a nice set of Nomex Pumas or whatever. They mostly fit, but I have to pull the laces and the sides touch. No love for us.

Women in motorsports may not be a huge market, but would someone please think of the ladies? I am sick of wearing shoes that are sloppy fit!
I second that notion! I'm currently using Puma ballet shoes as driving shoes. I couldn't find a picture of them as they must be discontinued, but they're similar to those below, but do have laces.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can never go wrong with New Balance. The 990 series is especially comfortable. The 992 is my go to shoe right now because I have peroneal tendinitis and it’s the only shoe I can stay comfortable in. The 990v5 or 992 would be my suggestions. Expensive but you get what you pay for

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Have a pair of old deadstock pirellis I got right before they restructured. Those are pretty nice and comfy but I save them for the track or long day drives rather than casual wear.

Onitsuka Tigers are pretty decent as well but they have terrible availability online and sizing can be weird.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts