VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have a set of puma speeders that I use pretty much just for driving. Heel is rolled but the sole and the heel have little rubber knubs, fantastic feel on the carpet, does not slide around at all. Love them

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have to wear a suit to work/meetings with clients, have found Ecco slip-ons/loafers to be a nice balance of dressy, lightweight, thin, and comfortable

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
I'm a Cole Haan whore (10 pairs). Have you tried any of their other styles besides loafers?
No, not a huge fan of their styles and I think they're generally overpriced for what they offer. That said, because there aren't many comparables, I've had many pairs in various colors of the "weekender" loafer. The leather topped ones tend to do alright, but they all generally kind of suck and start falling apart within a year.

Quite happy with the piloti sliptreams right now. Hoping they last, wish there was a store near me though so I could try a few other styles/sizes. Went with an 11, which work, but can't help but think the 10.5 may have been better, although width may be an issue.

·
Registered
334 Posts
For me, any sneaker with a nice flat sole is great - most of my sneaker collection are Vans and they happen to be pretty nice to drive in for me - ditto chucks, Nike SB's, etc.

Oddly, one of my favorite shoes to drive stick with are my Nike Free Run 5.0's - they're not super flat soled like skate shoes but come close and the added flexibility is nice

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I have a set of puma speeders that I use pretty much just for driving. Heel is rolled but the sole and the heel have little rubber knubs, fantastic feel on the carpet, does not slide around at all. Love them

View attachment 81301
i use something like this: https://slapadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/puma-drift-cat-grey.jpg

they are really good for driving, you feel the pedal, your heel isnt hurting after hours of driving, and they run tight, but not too tight.

My issue is that they arent very comfortable for longer walks, so I bring a 2nd pair if I am going for a hike or something.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Seriously.. try the Allbirds for track days(not race days). They have been awesome.
Seconded. I have a few different pairs of Allbirds and doubt I'll go back to something else, the comfort & weight level is just off the charts. Never really thought about them as good for driving, but yeah why not.

·
Registered
29,209 Posts
Quite happy with the piloti sliptreams right now. Hoping they last
I've had these Speedways for ever (over a decade IIRC). I generally don't wear them out of the car, so the lack of wear can be explained.

Reactions: NotFast and GLI Dan

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
I've had these Speedways for ever (over a decade IIRC). I generally don't wear them out of the car, so the lack of wear can be explained.
Good to hear. I'm using these as daily shoes around the office....covid lax attire is great. So I'm definitely anticipating a little more wear and a shorter life span, but 10 years is a good sign!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've always liked driving in skateboarding shoes. They're light, flat, thin, and okay I admit it, they're the shoes I wear anyway. Lately I've been really into everything by Nike SB, particularly the low-top styles like these:
Yup. I only do trackdays in my most beat up, broken in skate shoes. Adidas Busenitz is my choice.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
How is arch support on these minimalist shoes? I love the idea of allbird style shoes, but I have a high arch. I add an insole to my vans

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,691 Posts
Piloti has been marketing hard to me lately but I suspect they are too narrow. Adidas Sambas and Stan Smiths are about as narrow as my wide feet can handle and they make good driving shoes imo. Lately, I've been wearing a discount pair of Nike AF1's and they are surprisingly adept in the Miata since they are not nearly as bulky as most basketball sneakers.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Fancy driving shoes? You guys are soft. Back in the fall of 2001 I was piloting a manual '98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T around town full Paul Walker style in sandals that looked like these that weighed about 5 pounds each. Strange times I tell you...

41 - 60 of 68 Posts