VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to possibly buy a used header but, owner says it's for a short block 8v. just need to know what a short block is and if I can run it on my 79 rocco with 1.8 8v solid head. It is my understanding that the tall blocks are the newer versions of the 8v(aba). please help my rocco is so loud!!

· Administrator
'20 R1250 GSA, '19 A7 Prestige, 06 Saleen Mustang Coupe, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
21,801 Posts
Re: short block 8v's?? (mlawless1138)

Quote, originally posted by mlawless1138 »
looking to possibly buy a used header but, owner says it's for a short block 8v. just need to know what a short block is and if I can run it on my 79 rocco with 1.8 8v solid head. It is my understanding that the tall blocks are the newer versions of the 8v(aba). please help my rocco is so loud!!

Yep the 1.5-1.8 liter 8v motors are considered to be the shorter of the two versions of 8v motors out there. The ABA is considerably taller and normally if the header fits a 1.5 it will fit a 1.8 as well.. but not an ABA. Even the Audi 2.0 "bubbleblock" that comes out of the Audi 80 is a shorter block deck height and parts that come off of it will fit earlier VW motors.
Check out Techtonics website if you need to make comparisons; they do make a downpipe for people who want to use the factory exhaust manifold from their short block A1 cars and upgrade them to ABA bottom ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.