VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

I've just got my Passat SW dynaudio TDI 170 ; my first car with turbo ; and I'm wondering how long I need to wait until cutting off the engine with a very short ride less than 1 or 2 miles in city at less than 35 M/h

Does a turbo get its hot temp with this very short ride ; I know it need time to get cooled before cutting of the engine because oil pump is off too and the oil can "burn" into the turbo bearing axe .

Thanks by advance

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi :)

I've just got my Passat SW dynaudio TDI 170 ; my first car with turbo ; and I'm wondering how long I need to wait until cutting off the engine with a very short ride less than 1 or 2 miles in city at less than 35 M/h

Does a turbo get its hot temp with this very short ride ; I know it need time to get cooled before cutting of the engine because oil pump is off too and the oil can "burn" into the turbo bearing axe .

Thanks by advance
There is no need to wait and "cool" your stock turbo after such a short drive. I don't even think about it until driving an hour or more, or driving very aggressively.

(This of course would be a different story for an 80's or 90's turbo car.)

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
The newer vws have a electronic pump tht circulates after the car is shut down so the turbo can cool off.

It wont hurt anything letting it run for a min after abuse but its not needed

Sent from my EVO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ; Bill do you think a B6 of around 2006/2007 could have the electronic pump ; for me that is incomprehensible and nearly unacceptable that modern engine don't have a secondary oil system for the turbo or any other cooling system ...

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
thanks ; Bill do you think a B6 of around 2006/2007 could have the electronic pump ; for me that is incomprehensible and nearly unacceptable that modern engine don't have a secondary oil system for the turbo or any other cooling system ...
yup you're all set

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.