VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Short shift kits - which ones reduce side-to-side as well as throw? (tram)

I read somewhere that one or two of them didnt. Like autotech or abd, something like that? I know that caddy80's home made one doesnt change the side-to-side either.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Re: Short shift kits - which ones reduce side-to-side as well as throw? (Tarmac)

quote:[HR][/HR]I read somewhere that one or two of them didnt. Like autotech or abd, something like that? I know that caddy80's home made one doesnt change the side-to-side either. [HR][/HR]​
I was under theimpression that was the case with the A1 units since the linkage on those cars are different. Hopfully some-one will clear this up.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Short shift kits - which ones reduce side-to-side as well as throw? (eastcoastdubs)

Okay, how about this.
1. What short shift kit do you have?
2. Does it shorten side to side?

(I presume all shorten front to back...)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Short shift kits - which ones reduce side-to-side as well as throw? (Oreganoflow)

quote:[HR][/HR]No short shift kit for A2 will reduce side throw.[HR][/HR]​
hmm... interesting. I of course believe you but I remember reading somewhere that some people had trouble finding the gears with a short throw - why would this happen if the side to side wasnt altered?
anyway thanks for clearing it up. I guess I will just buy caddy80s then...

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: Short shift kits - which ones reduce side-to-side as well as throw? (Tarmac)

My Autotech unit does not shorten it side-to-side.
I thought there was one out there that did as well....a much more involved kit, but it did side-to-side as well as forward-to-backward....I thought.
Broke

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

i make and sell them too ....none that i know of reduce side to side ........soon i will be making a3 ones too already got some a1 and a2 in stock

·
Registered
586 Posts

IIRC, the reason people have trouble finding gears is because you are still moving the same amount of metal (mass-wise) in a shorter distance (less momentum). The fix for this is to add the A3 weighted shift rod (more mass on the moving linkage = more kinetic energy to get it into gear).
Correct me if I am wrong?
Ankh
quote:[HR][/HR]hmm... interesting. I of course believe you but I remember reading somewhere that some people had trouble finding the gears with a short throw - why would this happen if the side to side wasnt altered? [HR][/HR]​

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.