VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions really...
1. Is there a difference between a short shifter & short throw shifter? Or is it the same thing?
2. Does a short shifter have a potential damaging effect on the syncros?
From what Ive always believed was if the throw is shorter the syncros have less time to "Spool up" to mesh the gears and there's potential for added stress and faster wear on the syncros.
I'd like to get a short shifter.. I think they look nice.

But, it's out of the question if there is a known mechanical side effect.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Re: Short Shifter = Syncro problems?? (Are_Ohbi)

If by "short shifter" you mean shortened shifter lever, that won't pose any threat to your synchros as you haven't changed the throw ratio between gears but rather just made the lever shorter in height. The difference in shifter lever height will shorten the shifter knob's front-to-back throw somewhat when you eyeball it, though. IMHO, they look pretty cool, but make for sloppier, more dangerous drivers as your hand has to travel that much further away from the steering wheel between shifts. Think race car: their shifters are usually much higher than usual to keep their hands as close to the steering wheel as possible. But, to each his own....do what you like. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Short (throw) shifters, on the other hand, *can* affect synchro wear/life if once you install one you all of a sudden think that you can now shift twice as fast since the throw between gears is twice as short. The shortened shift throw is a convenience not to be abused, dude! Shifting too fast with a short shifter *could* lead to premature synchro wear, and we all know how sad the MKIV synchros are already!
If you shift correctly, though, a short shifter shouldn't cause you much grief.
Hope this helps you out a bit. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Edited for forgotten tidbits, etc...

Modified by Dr. Edlocks at 11:11 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
Re: Short Shifter = Syncro problems?? (Dr. Edlocks)

Quote, originally posted by Dr. Edlocks »
Think race car: their shifters are usually much higher than usual to keep their hands as close to the steering wheel as possible.
Modified by Dr. Edlocks at 11:11 PM 7-2-2003

Depends on which race cars we're talking about.
Rally Cars have tall ass shifters, because well, they need to keep control of the car obviously. While some have paddles, etc.
But alot of the "sports cars" (depending on your defintition) come stock with shorter shifters to lessen the time between each shift.
And if you suck at shifting, then you'll hurt your synrcos. That is if you like to dump it into first gear while going 25. I personally like to rev match as much as I possibly can just because feeling the syncros work makes me feel like im lazy. I know, i'm crazy,

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts