VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
looking for a short shifter lever....I'm tired of using the stock lever on mine....i was thinking of cutting but re-threading is a bitch...any suggestions???
Are you looking for a shorter throw, or just a shorter shaft?

The short shifts that reduce the throws are generally installed on the transmission side and don't shorten the shaft of the gear stick.

· Registered
232 Posts
there is no threads on the shifter...so rethreading it is not going to help.
I suppose you could thread it with both CW and CCW threads to try to create the texture that the shift knob needs to grip. Or you could use a Dremel very carefully.

Personally, I still can't understand why this is desirable. In truth, folks should be looking to extend it and raise the shift, no?

· Registered
10,057 Posts
Hacksaw!....Then use Momo **** knob..those are held on with set screws, so no worries about what the end of the shifter shaft looks like!:thumbup:

· Registered
258 Posts
I cut mine. pretty sick. NLS short shift as well. But I went with the OSir light up shift knob with the screw in attachment. You can do a sloppy job cutting it and it wont make a difference. It take A LOT of cutting though. I went through 2 metal hacksaw blades. Dremel FTW.

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i think i will be cutting it...but ill be getting a second one from the junk yard instead, just in case. i was thinking of going with the same shift knob...im using diesel geek short shifter have had it on for over 45k no problems at all...

· Registered
292 Posts
I cut mine. pretty sick. NLS short shift as well. But I went with the OSir light up shift knob with the screw in attachment. You can do a sloppy job cutting it and it wont make a difference. It take A LOT of cutting though. I went through 2 metal hacksaw blades. Dremel FTW.
I cut mine down as well and changed the boot. I cut it right before the notch ends so i can just follow the notch left and re-notch it. I reused the stock knob as well. Feels great but now its missing a weighted knob.

· Registered
795 Posts
cut it w/ a manual pipe cutter. Take 2 mins tops

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.