VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I heard once that you can have the struts themselves cut down is this correct? I guess they would take the whole deal apart shorten the parts and refit it back together.
Does any of this make sense or am I dreaming?
I have an Audi and the dont make a real coilover for it so now that I run nice and low my Bilstiens bottom out quite often and they are blown already.
No smart ass remarks about real low and poor handling I could care less, its built for panty droppin not cone carving. I have rabbits for spiritied driving http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by pre 93 only at 3:12 AM 1-14-2004

· Registered
16,120 Posts
Re: Shortening Bilstien struts? (pre 93 only)

so you have bilstein sports now and those are bottoming out?
i know a few places that sell shortened koni's, but not bilsteins -- and not for any audi applications that i know of....

· Registered
4,985 Posts
Re: Shortening Bilstien struts? (pre 93 only)

Bilstein can revalve and probably shorten the struts (for panty dropping), (oh, and one thing you might do before sending the dampers to Bilstein is cut the internal bumpstops).
Bilstein West is the only Bilstein branch that re-valves. Their address and phone # are:
Bilstein
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA
PH#1.800.537.1085
Tell the operator what you want. The guy you want to talk to is Jack.

· Registered
14,225 Posts
Re: Shortening Bilstien struts? (briang)

Koni sells double adjustable "shorter" shocks for racing. I use the Koni's in a shorten A2 strut housing on my A1 race Wabbit.
What you want is a shorten shock with the corresponding strut housing. Just shortening the strut housing without having the correct shock will not give you the desired solution. Regards,WWR.

· Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Shortening Bilstien struts? (WackyWabbitRacer)

I would shorten the housing obviously because otherwise the cartridge would be loose in there

· Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
24,902 Posts
Re: Shortening Bilstien struts? (briang)

Quote, originally posted by briang »
Bilstein can revalve and probably shorten the struts (for panty dropping), (oh, and one thing you might do before sending the dampers to Bilstein is cut the internal bumpstops).
Bilstein West is the only Bilstein branch that re-valves. Their address and phone # are:
Bilstein
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA
PH#1.800.537.1085
Tell the operator what you want. The guy you want to talk to is Jack.

Wonder if Bill Hindorf still works there
You should see the crazy shock setups on his off road vehicles!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.