VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research for the past few weeks on which generation of Jetta I should purchase. I see a lot of people saying the MKV is a better platform, but Im not sure how much of that is just personal bias. I plan on using this as a daily so my main concern is reliability issues from the older generation, as the 2.5l was not as developed and it just being a older car in general.

Summary

Car: MKV or MKVI Jetta w/ 2.5l & manual transmission
Goal: 'Sporty' daily driver, reliability

1. How does reliability compare with between the 2 generations?
  2. Any generation specific issues/advantages I should know about?
  3. What is your pick on which generation is better?
Thanks a lot for the help guys!

·
Registered
106 Posts
100% biased opinion.

I've had two mkv's, no complaints. The mk6 looks pretty sharp, gearing in the trans is much better for anyone who ever touches a highway. I could only afford a mkv second time around because I only pay cash for my wagons, but next time around I'll get a mk6 or 7. From those I've talked to, the mkv is built more solidly body wise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
MK6. Would likely be lower mileage, has better exhaust manifold and more power even in stock form. Also no MAF sensor.

So far as reliability I think the timing drive is better on the MK6 version too, not as prone to engine harness issues, but there are TSBs regarding intake manifold coming loose. Nothing really major.

I think the MK6 looks better and you don't have to worry about door harness failure (they made them short for some time on the MK5s), and have later CAN gateway to support more modern OEM head unit retrofits.

I had a MK6 (2012) for about 6 months and sold it to my parents who just rounded 110k, and my wife's main beater/family hauler is a 2007 MK5 at 127k miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.