VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying another Jetta. I don't really need it, but I think it would be cool to have. It's a '93, with 137,XXX miles. Pretty decent shape, although the automatic transmission slips a little in fourth. I don't really want an automatic, but I don't really care that much. Originally the guy wanted 1,000 OBO. But he got tons of intresent so he felt that he needed to raise the price to 2,000 OBO, which is a little shady in my opinion. So now he tells me it is mine for 1600. What do you guys think? Is it worth the 1600? Here are some pics. Oh, it also comes with a vw roof rack.

[Modified by DaveFX2, 1:42 PM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Re: Should I buy? (Boost Inside)

I think the $1k price is better for a car that has a slipping trans...
Sean

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Should I buy? (EuroStyle)

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. It was a little bit lame that he raised the price. I think if you give a price, and someone is willing to take it right then, you should stick with it. Is it right for him to raise price just because there was a lot of interest? I know it is his car and everything, but he said 1000 OBO, doesn't that mean give me 1000, or if no one will pay that, the best offer below 1000?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Re: Should I buy? (DaveFX2)

dude give him a grand for it man! look at what you get, dule rounds, all the interior you want, sell the seats for like 400.... spoiler sell that poop, wheels an tires sell for like 50 a pop, id get it if i were you, use that sucka as a parts car! worth it for a semi running parts car...

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Re: Should I buy? (RazorR)

i saw that too. i was going to offer him a grand for it, but he raised it. it's wrong, but u know what, it's his car, so he can do what he wants. i wanted it for a beater car, probably better on gas than my vr6. but i dont have that kind of money
if u like it u'll pay for it. (if u build it they will come) same principle.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Should I buy? (redfred1969)

I was just checking about KBB.com to get an idea of what this thing is really worth. According to them, it has a trade in value of 1,535 and a retail of 2,800. Is it worth it for me to spend 1,600 on a car with a failing tranny? A transmission alone is like 800 dollars, if I install it myself. Decisions, decisions.....

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

yeah but then it needs brake rotors or a turning was kinda hard to see, rear pads, tires, alignment, maybe strut mounts, bearings. sunroof will slide but needs help to close but will tilt, A/C cold, heat works good, car is clean on the inside.=, front is all chipped up.
I offered the $1k he was asking and wants to wait until the EOW before he says yes or no, trying to get more money for it but at the same time he might lose buyers by waiting.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

if u really need the car right now, i guess, but it seems u dont so i suggest u wait for a really good deal. this is gonna be ur beater, but not already beaten. u dont want to have to put in anymore money into it. wait for a manual without slipping tranny.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Should I buy? (igneousGOlF)

I think this guy may have been telling me that he was offered 1500 local, when really he was only offered 1k by the local buyer. He was trying to get me to offer 1600.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

Have you tried waving a little cash in his face? I bet if you mentioned that the tranny is slipping and wav $900-1000 in his face he'd go for it. If not, let the slipping tranny be someone elses headache. Buy yourself an Mk1 or Mk2 for the same money and have yourself a little go-kart for the street!

·
Banned
10,500 Posts

you're lookin at a tranny rebuild, keep that in mind. I'd suggest taking it to a mechanic and checking compression in all the cylinders, also checking all the belts and such. With that many miles, you may also have to replace alot of key componnents - water pump, fuel pump, all filters, possibly belts / pulleys, etc.
But once you take care of all that, you will have yourself a fine automobile which is ready for another 120k miles.
I say go for it! cant beat the reliability of VW's! Just dump a little money into it right now so you dont have problems down the road...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Should I buy? (Slapshotnerd)

The seller was the one that told me that it was in need of a tranny. He said the stealership was going to charge about 2k for the repair. So, if he wants to get 2k, more power to him, he just isn't going to get it from me!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.